How we start a project

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

sudip

How we start a project

Post by sudip »

Hello Friends,

When we see a problem we always analyse - how to solve it :roll: . In my very humble opinion, a project is a collection of problems (here I am using the term "problem" in positive sense), which needs our attention to solve :)

Here, we have many experienced users. I want to know, how they start a project. :D

It will be a very happy journey to share our ideas in this very important topic :D

Thanks in advance.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: How we start a project

Post by esgici »

sudip wrote: When we see a problem we always analyse - how to solve it :roll: . In my very humble opinion, a project is a collection of problems (here I am using the term "problem" in positive sense), which needs our attention to solve :)
Dear Sudip

I want answer your question by a humoresque approach, by hoping will don't hurt anyone.
Journey of programmer
Journey of programmer
diadelprogramador.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Humor is for a small smile only.

Regards

--

Esgici

PS: We can terminate the journey in 5.th step :lol:
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
sudip

Post by sudip »

sudip wrote: ...
When we see a problem we always analyse - how to solve it :roll: . In my very humble opinion, a project is a collection of problems (here I am using the term "problem" in positive sense), which needs our attention to solve :)
For a new project, I always want to check the existing solution - be it manual or computerized solution. Then I want to know why the new solution is required. This query somes tells some unsaid important points :)

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Hi Sudip,

Another nice discussion. Thanks Esgici for your show of feelings about a software developer in various stages!

Before my own description,

This is a formal one!

This one is of course informal (Already posted in the forum by Roberto, I think)

East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Esgici, Rathi,

Both of your sent images (although I can't see Rathi's formal image) discribed some relevent facts about system analysis, design and implementation. :)

Actually I initiated this topic to know how and where we can use the true power of HMG :)

Proper planning is essential for a successful project :)

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
esgici

Post by esgici »

sudip wrote: I want to know, how they start a project. :D
Well; since you want, we can be sulky too ;)

I am start a project by designing main form.

Is this appropriate your expect ?

Regards

--

Esgici
sudip

Post by sudip »

esgici wrote:
sudip wrote: I want to know, how they start a project. :D
Well; since you want, we can be sulky too ;)

I am start a project by designing main form.

Is this appropriate your expect ?
Hello Esgici,
I expected more, especially your analysis and design phase - even before writing any code :)
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

This is my experience.

This is the time frame of my projects. I had developed some projects overnight, some in weeks, some in months, and one in years.

Some had been planned, designed and executed in my mind even before started coding. Some had been started immediately after I had got the idea without any planning.

IMHO, nobody talks about your way of programming. They talk only about the end product. For them, software is just a BLACK BOX (as we call it in Systems Auditing) in which some input is given and some output is got.

Once I started thinking about the requirement of a new software/utility (before that I ask many questions viz., Can't I do with Excel?, Is there an open source software already for this problem? Any tailor made commercial utility/software?) I plan for the DB requirement. My choices are text/ini based, dbf based, sql based.

This can be decided by analyzing the nature of the requirement like pure logical (my Interest(ing) Calculator), procedural (transport/logistics management software), modular (ERP software), record maintenance (License/address book software) etc., Some problems might require a blend of these approaches.

In HMG, I have my own standard procedures for data entry forms (for entering repetitive lines of an invoice with data validation), report generation (accepted by HMG community as 'gridprint') etc., All my software projects could utilize the same coding/logic.

I visualize each and every window in the software in advance, I use IDE only to compile a project. All my codings are personally typed by me. I use alternative syntax for defining all the controls.

My main window is sized mostly in 4:3 ratio. I prefer main window size of 1024 x 768 and sometimes 800 x 600. I had developed a project with my main window 1280 x 1024 :) which had a HUGE working space and could be run in a 17" 4:3 monitors!

I plan other windows in three size ratios. They are, 1:1, 4:3 and 16:9 (recently). Square type (ie., 1:1) windows are useful for calculators, input box of not more than three variables, windows without any grids etc.). 4:3 is somewhat standard size.

I place the controls with relative data in a line. (for example, I place invoice number and invoice date in a single line.) My controls are always of HMG standard font, size and height except Grids/listboxes where in I mention the height according to the requirement. My control line width is 30. (for example if for the first line of controls I use "row 10" for the next line of controls I use "row 40"). Also, I pack the window very tight with the controls leaving very little extra space. This will enable the user to move lesser distance while moving around the window. :) Don't think it is a silly thing. This I had seen in all the MS windows dialogs.

I think I'm boring you... Will continue if you like. :)
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
esgici

Post by esgici »

Hi Sudip

Does Rathi's expressions are appropriate to your expect ?

( and sufficient ?)

Regards

--

Esgici
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Rathi,

I like your points very much :D
Please discuss more :)
Thanks in advance.