Windows vs Linux - Cars vs Motor Bikes?!

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Windows vs Linux - Cars vs Motor Bikes?!

Post by Rathinagiri »

This is an article having title, "Linux is too different from Windows". I give some extract from the article for your reading. It was quite interesting for me. Hopefully for you too!
Whereas an out-of-the-box-Windows user has the Classic or XP desktop with Wordpad, Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express installed, an out-of-the-box-Linux user has hundreds of distros to choose from, then Gnome or KDE or Fluxbox or whatever, with vi or emacs or kate, Konqueror or Opera or Firefox or Mozilla, and so on and so forth.

A Windows user isn't used to making so many choices just to get up & running. Exasperated "Does there have to be so much choice?" posts are very common.

Does Linux really have to be so different from Windows? After all, they're both operating systems. They both do the same job: Power your computer & give you something to run applications on. Surely they should be more or less identical?

Look at it this way: Step outside and take a look at all the different vehicles driving along the road. These are all vehicles designed with more or less the same purpose: To get you from A to B via the roads. Note the variety in designs.

But, you may be thinking, car differences are really quite minor: they all have a steering wheel, foot-pedal controls, a gear stick, a handbrake, windows & doors, a petrol tank. . . If you can drive one car, you can drive any car!

Quite true. But did you not see that some people weren't driving cars, but were riding motorbikes instead. . ?

Switching from one version of Windows to another is like switching from one car to another. Win95 to Win98, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Win98 to WinXP, it was a bigger change but really nothing major.

But switching from Windows to Linux is like switching from a car to a motorbike. They may both be OSes/road vehicles. They may both use the same hardware/roads. They may both provide an environment for you to run applications/transport you from A to B. But they use fundamentally different approaches to do so.

Windows/cars are not safe from viruses/theft unless you install an antivirus/lock the doors. Linux/motorbikes don't have viruses/doors, so are perfectly safe without you having to install an antivirus/lock any doors.

Or look at it the other way round:

Linux/cars were designed from the ground up for multiple users/passengers. Windows/motorbikes were designed for one user/passenger. Every Windows user/motorbike driver is used to being in full control of his computer/vehicle at all times. A Linux user/car passenger is used to only being in control of his computer/vehicle when logged in as root/sitting in the driver's seat.

Two different approaches to fulfilling the same goal. They differ in fundamental ways. They have different strengths and weaknesses: A car is the clear winner at transporting a family & a lot of cargo from A to B: More seats & more storage space. A motorbike is the clear winner at getting one person from A to B: Less affected by congestion and uses less fuel.

There are many things that don't change when you switch between cars and motorbikes: You still have to put petrol in the tank, you still have to drive on the same roads, you still have to obey the traffic lights and Stop signs, you still have to indicate before turning, you still have to obey the same speed limits.

But there are also many things that do change: Car drivers don't have to wear crash helmets, motorbike drivers don't have to put on a seatbelt. Car drivers have to turn the steering wheel to get around a corner, motorbike drivers have to lean over. Car drivers accelerate by pushing a foot-pedal, motorbike drivers accelerate by twisting a hand control.

A motorbike driver who tries to corner a car by leaning over is going to run into problems very quickly. And Windows users who try to use their existing skills and habits generally also find themselves having many issues. In fact, Windows "Power Users" frequently have more problems with Linux than people with little or no computer experience, for this very reason. Typically, the most vehement "Linux is not ready for the desktop yet" arguments come from ingrained Windows users who reason that if they couldn't make the switch, a less-experienced user has no chance. But this is the exact opposite of the truth.
Thanks: http://xibex.blogspot.com/2009/11/linux ... erent.html

There are some other interesting articles too!
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Vanguarda

Re: Windows vs Linux - Cars vs Motor Bikes?!

Post by Vanguarda »

Hello friends,

Thanks Rathi for this nice topic.

Well, IMHO, linux and windows can work together for one more usefull experience for the final user.

I love linux very much, on my servers, only slackware linux are installed, and on desktop of my clients, windows are installed. The two together form a wonderful job plataform.

Well, i´ll say it forever , don´t fight for little causes. The two OS are great in your works. Us, like programmers, must add power of this two OS in our work, and not divide.

I´m a user linux forever, and i´m a user of free software forever too.
Anyway, i´m a user windows forever too.

Together we can change the world.

well i think that i exaggerated. :lol: It is my humble opinion ok?! Please don´t take it so serious. :D

With my best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks for your nice words Vanguarda!
sudip

Post by sudip »

Thank you Rathi for this excellent topic. Thank you Vanguarda for your very good wishes.

I didn't used Linux for 5/6 years and didn't drive any car or motor bike!!! :( But, I definitely like to ride both car and bike :)

Within this 5/6 years Linux has lots of developments regarding it's user interface and other areas. IMHO, those 2 O/s are built with different philosophies.

Unix/Linux has lots of development by "Students" and Windows is mainly developed by software developers working in a big company ;) May be this is one of the main reasons for their difference.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

IMHO, Linux is a self grown deep forest which has different flowers, fruits, trees etc., where as windows is a well maintained agricultural field.

Recently I had installed Ubuntu 9.10 and astonished by the performance.
mol

Post by mol »

In my reallife I must drive my car...
But I'd love to ride my bike :-D

And how it is with pleasure: I must spend a lot of time working,and so little time remains for freedom...
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello,

When I wrote my previous post, I was in a hurry to visit a client. After some time, I felt I have more to say ... ;)

Rathi, I agree with you. Linux is Born-free :) with it's flexibility and power. Windows is more commercial and less flexible :)

Frankly speaking, I vote for students, and I also think myself an ever-student :lol:

(.... I wrote many boring technical information here, but later I removed all of them :) I don't want those "low-level" staffs)

When I ran Linux, I felt something happening :) and when I am running Windows I feel something is running, but most of it's internal parts are hidden from me ;)

I couldn't install Ubuntu, due to download limit of my current ISP :( I already registered at their site for a free copy of the installation CD one week before and hoping to get it within 2 months :)

I just love Linux :D, and hope, one day my HMG code will run on Linux without any modification :)

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

mol wrote:In my reallife I must drive my car...
But I'd love to ride my bike :-D

And how it is with pleasure: I must spend a lot of time working,and so little time remains for freedom...
Hi friend.

I love bikes too :D

"Born to be wilde" :evil:

Regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
mol

Post by mol »

Vanguarda wrote:
Hi friend.

I love bikes too :D

"Born to be wilde" :evil:

Regards,
What bike are you riding?
Mine is Suzuki Intruder VS 800...
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Sometime back, Sudip and Roberto were discussing about Arnold. Mol, you are like him, a hero. :) Nice bike too. I envy.

This is mine, of course in 3D. This is Suzuki Fiero.