A Book on HMG

Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

A Book on HMG

Post by Rathinagiri »

Hi friends,

It is my long time wish to promote HMG in a big way. (See here too.)

Even though it is not at all required to advertise or spread out an advertisement for a flower shop, (since the fragrance spreads out naturally.) it is our duty to open up the basket and tell others about HMG.

As of now, HMG, HMG Doc and resources are available in the net. Our friend Sudip had thought of porting HMG to another media. Yes, he wants to publish a printed text book on HMG. :) The funny part is he asked me to write it. :shock: After having a deep thinking of three days, I decided to jump into the well.

But writing a book on HMG is such a great task. IMHO, content, language and writing skill are the most important and basic requirements of authoring a book. I may know some content. But regarding other two qualifications, they are very big question marks for me.

After having some discussions, Sudip and myself are satisfied that we shall bring a book on HMG in Indian context. Myself and himself shall co-author the book.

I request you all, to extend your support and blessings in this huge task to us. It will only be complete if all of us put our efforts together.

I think this is one of the best ways of thanking Roberto for this excellent tool.

Expecting your favorable replies,

With kind regards,

S. Rathinagiri.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
mol

Re: A Book on HMG

Post by mol »

I'm ready to join this project. That's great idea to promote HMG. It would be great to translate it into Polish, after.

Best regards, Marek
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks a lot Marek.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
mol

Post by mol »

I report report browser can be closed by ALT-F4. It causes error after...

Sorry, not this topic, but I can't delete this one
Last edited by mol on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Thanks a lot Marek :)

Thank you Rathi, thinking me as a co-author of this book :)

I want to add a few lines.

Idea of this book came to my mind when I was reading Rick Spence's "Clipper Programming Guide" a few days ago (any comment ;) )

Primarily I was afraid of writing a book with no experience in technical write-up and very little knowledge on the subject (HMG) :o Then one thing came to my mind, there are lots of developers in this world like me who really need this book. Rathi's experience and my inexperience ( ;) ) will be blended in this book :)

I am sure I shall learn many excellent features of HMG during this project :)

Like Rathi, I also want to say this project will be a very small thanks to Master Roberto Lopez :)

Thanking you in advance.

With best regards.

Sudip
Last edited by sudip on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
With best regards,
Sudip
gfilatov

Post by gfilatov »

sudip wrote:...
Idea of this book came to my mind when I was reading Rick Spence's "Clipper Programming Guide" (any comment ;) :lol: )

Primarily I was afraid of writing a book with no experience in technical write-up and very little knowledge on the subject (HMG) :o Then one thing came to my mind, there are lots of developers in this world like me who really need this book. Rathi's experience and my in-experience ( ;) ) will be blended in this book :)

I am sure this book will be great helpful to all who want to use HMG :)
Hi Sudip,

This is a good idea :!:

You can look also at the 'Manual for Beginner' by Eduardo Freni (Italian and English version) which had posted at the Files area of the English minigui forum (at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/harb ... 0Beginner/) :idea:
Kind Regards,
Grigory Filatov

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." Albert Einstein
sudip

Post by sudip »

Thank you Grigory :) you are the person from whom I first got help for Minigui about 1 year back :). This book will be a very little thanks to you also. :)
I downloaded and browsed the manual :) A great source is Esgici's Viva Clipper site also. :)
Thanks a lot to all.
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Hi All

It's big idea "Thanking Roberto". :)

Me too, I want to participate it, with whatever I can do.

Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote:Hi friends,

It is my long time wish to promote HMG in a big way. (See here too.)

Even though it is not at all required to advertise or spread out an advertisement for a flower shop, (since the fragrance spreads out naturally.) it is our duty to open up the basket and tell others about HMG.

As of now, HMG, HMG Doc and resources are available in the net. Our friend Sudip had thought of porting HMG to another media. Yes, he wants to publish a printed text book on HMG. :) The funny part is he asked me to write it. :shock: After having a deep thinking of three days, I decided to jump into the well.

But writing a book on HMG is such a great task. IMHO, content, language and writing skill are the most important and basic requirements of authoring a book. I may know some content. But regarding other two qualifications, they are very big question marks for me.

After having some discussions, Sudip and myself are satisfied that we shall bring a book on HMG in Indian context. Myself and himself shall co-author the book.

I request you all, to extend your support and blessings in this huge task to us. It will only be complete if all of us put our efforts together.

I think this is one of the best ways of thanking Roberto for this excellent tool.

Expecting your favorable replies,

With kind regards,

S. Rathinagiri.
Wow!

I'm extremely surprised.

It's 07:40 am here now. I've just jumped from bed to PC. I guess that this is not the best time on the day to write a good enough response :) but the best thing that I can say right now is THANKS!.

In my mind, HMG still being an humble project. A little thing compared with monster products created by big companies, but considering all the users support here and now A BOOK! I guess I should reconsider about my thinking :)

THANKS!
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)