Ready for next version?

HMG Unicode versions 3.1.x related

Moderator: Rathinagiri

MICROVOLUTION

Re: Ready for next version?

Post by MICROVOLUTION »

exemplo:
a HMG 3.4.4 (pelo que eu saiba é a última versão, desde 2017) vem com o harbour q está incluso a pasta contribs que vem com a lib GTWVG.
Com isso posso usar gráficos tanto de uma quanto da outra. O aplicativo híbrido (misto wvg + hmg) funciona perfeitamente.
Já a HMGE (ou HMEE ou MiniGui Extended - não importa), não vem com estas pastas, apesar da inovação.

Realmente, é hora da união de todas as libs gráficas se unirem e fazer um tipo de UNICODE de todas as LIBS, e, aí tudo que existe numa poderia existir na outra.
Exemplo: tudo que tem na HMGE 19.01 pode estar integrado na HMG 3.4.4 e também simplesmente na GTWVG e vice-versa.
Aí qualquer um poderia trabalhar com a sua lib de preferência, quer seja WVG, WVW, HMG, HMGE, HWGUI, etc, e, tudo ser um pacote só.

Espero que o Grigory, Szakats, Bedi, Dr. Claudio Sotto e o nobre Roberto Lopez, e, todos os desenvolvedores mundo afora, se HUMILHASSEM (pois assim diz a Bíblia: "os que se humilham serão exaltados") para que nosso bem comum - o HARBOUR, não morra na praia.

Sofremos tanto, desde que a CA CLIPPER quebrou e nos deixou órfãos, e, agora estamos aí brigando entre nós mesmos.
E, tem um outro trecho da Bíblia que gostaria de citar:
"A CASA DIVIDIDA EM SI MESMA NÃO SUBSISTE", ou seja,
a gente fica brigando entre nós e assim o HARBOUR irá morrer, pois as linguagens que trabalham assim nesta prioridade:
- SMARTPHONE (ANDROID / IOS)
- WEB / NUVEM
- DESKTOP
- etc
Estão caindo cada vez mais na graça do povo.

A prova de que estamos no caminho contrário é a quantidade de membros nos fóruns e principalmente os que realmente são ativos, quer seja aqui, quer seja em:
- PCTOLEDO/FORUM
- HMGFORUM
- HMGEXTENDED
- GTWVG
- etc

Sempre são as mesmas figurinhas "atores coadjuvantes e principais" neste filme que está prestes a ter um final INFELIZ.
;)
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

I agree that the effort should be rewarded

But in reality this becomes an academic discussion, HMG is (almost) a finished product that needs only a little, which depends on the style of the programmer

I have to admit that I have been experiencing several times to add some functions to the library, that I would have found the instruction, so ...

QUESTION: Where can you find instructions on how to create libraries, add and create a new version?

I do not use the IDE, I like the code in (one) prg, and not in prg/frm, for some simple things it takes a lot of work/steps, some are unfinished (when create browse, is logical to choose the table and add fields?)

Again, I acknowledge that this tool can be enhanced (or made), I have the impression that the IDE is not working in HMG than C++ or the like, it's a job for the master. In any case, the tool is good as there are extras that facilitate work, in time I did what I need to quickly create basic forms / reports

What makes me a bit of trouble right now is the GetDesktopWidth function because it does not work properly when it comes to two monitors, (windows printscreen get the contents of both screens)

Regards
trmpluym

Post by trmpluym »

Dear friends,

I agree with Nikos : it is not realistic to have high expectations regarding the development of HMG and MiniGUI when people like Grigory and Rathinagiri have do this in there spare time for free.

I also think it is a good idea to setup a donation program !

A monthly or yearly fee sounds great. I suggest donating members can have benefits like : submit feature requests, alsk the developer questions and receive more frequent builds. Also the non donating members will benefit: they also receive the new functionality but less frequently and after a delay. They also can ask questions on a free message board but the developer can decide if there is time left to answer them (like now).

An other idea could be to set up a crowd funding to request a feature. When a feature price is known, one or more members can donate. When the price is reached the developer can start to create the new build with the requested feature. Non donating members also receive the new functionality but less frequently (once a year?) and after a delay.

Theo
PeteWG

Post by PeteWG »

trmpluym wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:17 pm ... I suggest donating members can have benefits like : submit feature requests, alsk the developer questions and receive more frequent builds. Also the non donating members will benefit: they also receive the new functionality but less frequently and after a delay. They also can ask questions on a free message board but the developer can decide if there is time left to answer them (like now).
An other idea could be to set up a crowd funding to request a feature. When a feature price is known, one or more members can donate. When the price is reached the developer can start to create the new build with the requested feature. Non donating members also receive the new functionality but less frequently (once a year?) and after a delay.
So you suggest the project to shift from pure open source model to (nearly commercial) donation-ware!
Please let me remind that HMG code is published under "GPL-2 or later" license, which means that any modifications,
enhancements etc. work, must be freely and directly available to the public.
Anyone is free and highly encouraged to make donations to developers that spend their time contributing and
supporting an open source project, but using donations to raise a "wall", delaying or even suppressing the free distribution
of open source software is plainly unacceptable! You might want to rethink once again your proposal!

And... before and above all these, it's necessary to try to find out "what happened to administrator of this site: Rathinagiri"
He was/is great contributor of HMG project and minigui community in general, and his absence and silence is quite strange,
if not completely unexpected. I hope he's ok and he would wish to express his opinion on the matter.

regards,
Pete
Anand
DBs Used: DBF

Post by Anand »

PeteWG wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:21 pm And... before and above all these, it's necessary to try to find out "what happened to administrator of this site: Rathinagiri"
He was/is great contributor of HMG project and minigui community in general, and his absence and silence is quite strange,
if not completely unexpected. I hope he's ok and he would wish to express his opinion on the matter.
Agree and that's why I start new post, "Where is Rathinagiri Sir ?" http://www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=57871#p57871, but still no reply yet.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

mustafa

Post by mustafa »

Hi Anad
It seems that your facebook page is active ?
https://www.facebook.com/srathinagiri
Regards
Mustafa
Anand

Post by Anand »

mustafa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:03 pm Hi Anad
It seems that your facebook page is active ?
https://www.facebook.com/srathinagiri
Regards
Mustafa
Not mine but of Rathinagiri Sir.
But he is not responding in forum here.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

mol

Post by mol »

I saw new posts of Rathi on the FB.
I
trmpluym

Post by trmpluym »

Hi Pete,
must be freely and directly available to the public.
I am no expert in GPL licensing, so probably you are right, but i cannot find anything about the fact that the modifications have the be directly available to the public, see:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licens ... .0.en.html

This also seems a hard to live-up to. When somebody made some modifications he has to have some time to test the new code and distribute the new version. When the code has to be public 'directly' the coder is violating the GPL license right after modifying the first character :D

Theo
EduardoLuis

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Friends:

What Pete said is absolutly right.-
An open source software means that it's unlimited distribuible or modify without any payment.-
A donation under conditions (for example: limiting the access to new functions or general upgrade) means price, so this against the principles of an open source.-
Said that, anyone can make a donation to master develope but never under the condition of free upgrades.-
I think that when Roberto, Claudio, Rathi, an many others contribute with HMG make it's effort don't pursue an economic interest.- That was a principle that movilize them to share his knowledge an experience with all of us, lovers of Clipper dinasty.-
Finally i think that promote that behaviour to get new efforts from Rathi or anyelse is dishonorable; perhaps i'm wrong, but i can't do something like that.-
In each app i develope i mention that the app contains routines developed by Claudio or Rathi or anybody else.- That is - unless for me - the best mode to thank hes effort.-
HMG is a powerfull, we can make grate app. The only limit is our imagination.-
With regards.
Eduardo