HMG 3.4.3 Compiler Issue

General Help regarding HMG, Compilation, Linking, Samples

Moderator: Rathinagiri

BobFBurns
DBs Used: DBF, ACCDB

HMG 3.4.3 Compiler Issue

Post by BobFBurns »

I have installed a fresh copy of v3.4.3 and have been comparing its IDE and resulting application .EXE file to that generated by HMG Extended HMGS 2005-2016 by building an application from scratch. The OS is Windows 7 Professional. V3.4.3 has suddenly stopped compiling my application and just presents an empty error form with no error message. The Build.log file shows:
"c:/borland/bcc55/lib/ws2_32.lib: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
hbmk2[Organiser]: Error: Running linker. 1"
The incomplete application just has the basic windows framework code in about 200 lines of source in a single file.
I removed a lot of source code from my application until it only had a few lines of basic Windows construction code copied from a sample application but it still did not compile. However, opening a separate sample application resulted in a correct compilation.
I emptied the application folder and started again with a correct compilation until it suddenly stopped again with the same symptoms.
HMG Extended is compiling the same application source code with no issues. I cannot see any incorrect code so it this a problem with a supporting compiler control or logging file in the application folder? I am signed in with administrator privileges.
Can anyone help please?
Regards
Bob
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: HMG 3.4.3 Compiler Issue

Post by Rathinagiri »

Bob,

I think you are confusing HMG3.4.3 with HMG Extended.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
BobFBurns

Post by BobFBurns »

Thank you for your reply. I will check both installations which are on separate volumes of my hard drive and report back. The outstanding issue is still that one works correctly and the other does not for a reason that I cannot see at the moment.
Regards
Bob
BobFBurns

Post by BobFBurns »

To avoid any confusion I have uninstalled all HMG installations on my PC and only reinstalled HMG 3.4.3 on the G drive and HMG Extended and Borland BCC55 on the C drive - I created completely separate source code folders for both versions of the compiler when the project commenced. Recompiling the apparently faulty source code using v3.4.3 in resulted in the same error being displayed so I deleted all files in that folder, recreated the project using the IDE and recovered the identical source code PRG file from the backup folder - it now compiled with no error.
So I still think that one or more of the control or logging files in the source code folder created by the compiler or the IDE was causing the issue.
If it happens again I will delete the logging and control files one at a time until it behaves correctly and report back.
HMG Extended continues to compile the same source code correctly.
Regards
Bob
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Hi Bob,

Why do you use HMG + Hmg Extended for the same application?
Just, curious...
Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
BobFBurns

Post by BobFBurns »

Hi Serge
I was comparing them to see if there were any significant differences as I have not been following the development history of either. Currently I am concentrating on HMG v3.4.3 in which I have noted some infrequent but unusual behaviour in the IDE. For some unknown reason it will hang occasionally without any warning - typically two or three times a day.
Before retiring, I spent many years developing applications for the accounting industry using FoxBase and then Clipper before moving on to developing data diagnostics for medium size SQL databases (one to five million records) in MS Access which has an extremely easy programming language.
Regards
Bob
serge_girard
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

OK, I see, thx Bob

Serge
BobFBurns

Post by BobFBurns »

Hi Serge
I meant to have asked you if there are any fully worked source code examples for a Browse and a Grid. Following a lot of trial tests I have managed to get a basic Grid working with Append, Edit, Delete, Refresh and Save but it fails when I attempt to add a Combobox to one of the columns. I have a very simple Browse working with its Save option but the Append and Delete options fail either during compilation or at run time.
The IDE continues to freeze several times during the day, sometimes following a series of compile or run time errors and other times for no obvious reason.
I am using an AMD processor based PC with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit O/S with all current updates installed.
Regards
Bob
serge_girard
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Hi Bob,

I don't use Browse for editing my files. So I have no experience with Brose. But others do!
Theo?
Serge
BobFBurns

Post by BobFBurns »

Hi Serge
So far the basic Grid control appears to be working correctly without just a calendar column control so using that but I still cannot get the Browse to work.
If I cannot get any further column controls to work correctly on the Grid then I will have to disable editing on the Grid and design a new form to edit a record that is selected on the grid. Application is slowly being developed.
I noted during comparisons that the HMG3.4.3 compiler produces a 4MB EXE file whereas HMG Extended produces a 1.6MB EXE file from the same source files.
Regards
Bob