Can't Get Started With the IDE

Moderator: Rathinagiri

abrogard

Can't Get Started With the IDE

Post by abrogard »

I am following the HMG reference Doc and I can't get past the index page.

Steps 3,4,5,6 are tripping me up somewhere.

If I just follow the basic instructions and assume I have to delete nothing, rename nothing, I do not get a runable outcome.

If I try to delete files and rename files I find myself wondering exactly which ones and I take a stab and get it wrong, apparently, because I still don't get a working outcome.

I apologise for being so thick but I am just confused by the instructions.

Can you tell me:

Assume I'm making a project called First and I want everything that is a matter of my choice to be called 'first'.

1. In the IDE what modules with what names should I have?
2. In the IDE what forms with what names should I have?
3. On my computer what files and what subdirectories should I have in the directory 'first' that I have created for this project?
4. I have notepad++ as suggested. What files should it be working on/have produced?
5. If there is more than one .prg in the modules display in the IDE which .prg contains all the added code?

I did produce one effort that seems to work but I'm damned if I know how I did it - I can't seem to do it again - and it gives errors when I try to click on any of the choices in the drop down menu: I called it 'sixthprog'.

It has two modules in the modules pane of the IDE: Main.prg(Main) and sixthprog.prg
All the added code is in Main.Prg

It has two forms: sixthform.fmg and sixthprog.fmg

I'm sure my natural born stupidity is making a simple thing very difficult but if I could just ask for your understanding until I get going and some direction it'd be really great for me.

regards,

ab
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Re: Can't Get Started With the IDE

Post by serge_girard »

Hello Ab,

Welcome from Belgium.
The first program needs a main function. Please take a look at the samples and try to run them.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I've got it. I think. Seems to be going alright now.
You have done a mighty job and I much appreciate it. I hope you don't mind if I suggest there may be others as slow as myself.

This was my problem:

[quote]
You can see two files with Main name were created instead MyApp as it was defined for project name. In case you need to rename, you have two ways to do it:
1. Thru IDE
§ At menubar Project / Delete File and you can exclude both files by this way.
§ Now at menubar Project / New Module will creates a prg file with the right name given.
§ To create fmg file you click at menubar Project / New Form and will creates with right name
[unquote]
==================================

This is how I think the procedure can more clearly be defined for such as I. Getting us off to a fine start:

You can see two files called 'Main' have been created that we don't want.

In the IDE Main.Prg and Main.Fmg need changing to Myapp.Prg and Myapp.Fmg
And Notepad++ is displaying Main.Prg for editing.

In the IDE in Project Browser on Modules tab with Main.prg selected Project\Delete File will remove it.
In the IDE in Project Browser on Forms tab with Main.fmg selected Project\Delete File will remove it.

Then Project/New Module and Project/New Form will create correct files: Myapp.prg and Myapp.fmg

Notepad++ then automatically changes to displaying 'Myapp.prg'

==========================================

regards,

ab
EduardoLuis

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Abrogard

Wellcome from Argentine.-

As Serge wrote, perhaps the best way is learning compiling each sample.-
You'll discover HMG is friendly and with less effort you will develope great app.-
There is not one an only method to perform an app.-
In my case i "write" my line code with Notepad++, i don't use .FMG, it's just a personal habit.-
Creating app with IDE is absolutly easy; during your first steps, IDE will be usefull; later perhaps, you'll write your code lines without any collection of *.FMG.-
Feel free to ask, the felloship will help you.-
With regards.
Eduardo
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

Yes, maybe we should start without the IDE. How would we best do that? ( we = me and 13 yr son )
mol

Post by mol »

It will be very easy to start with IDE. You can build your screens with mouse, controls will have all properties set by default, you wi;; have not problems with order of properties - it's important.
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

So Abe, with or without the IDE...

I, for myself, use HMG-IDE for compilation. Screens are all in PRG. I find this more comfortable !
But, again, see the demo's with tons of examples.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

Thank you guys. I will try to familiarise myself with both - how about that?

Son attempted to install HMG on his machine this afternoon and got an error message about a corrupt file. He used the zip package.

Downloaded again and again it said there was a corrupt file in the unpacked zip.

Strange?

He's got win10 on his machine. Asrock motherboard. It downloaded and installed fine on my win10 Asus motherboard.

And on our 'standby' machine - winxp on an Asus board.

There's no known problem with Asrock or anything like that?