Topic Specific Tutorials and Tips.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

mol

Re: A Beginners Guide to Programming with Harbour and HMG

Post by mol »

Hi!
Fine work!
I found such a staement:
FUNCTION is the first statement in your code file. A statement is, in effect, an instruction that your program will execute and in this case the statement is to create a User Defined Function (a UDF) which is unique to your program. As the name suggests, a function performs specific actions within the program. A function name, in this case Main(),can be of any length, but only the first 10 characters are significant with the rest being ignored. Names can contain any combination of characters, numbers, or underscores, but must begin with a character or an underscore. Leading underscores are not recommended since they are reserved for built-in functions.
I don't think the limitation of 10 characters per UDF name is valid in harbour...
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Thanks, Mol, for highlighting this as an edit for me to make - my comment on this seems to be slightly misleading, so I will add this to my list of edits.
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

Author deserves praise for text

And criticism of the design of the site, the more menu real problem, I know it is not easy to do but I think it's better to have one considers horizontal or vertical, and then put all

I read the texts, are good but lacks navigation, at the end of a text is customary to put

<previous> <content> <next>

and easy to move to the next text
-------------------------------------------------- ------
Small criticism for the author of the installation program:

Is it hard to folder to install the HMG put / added to the PATH?
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Hello and I FULLY agree with the comments about the site and it's appearance / navigation etc!

The reason for this is that I chose to learn HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and PHP from SCRATCH before I started to explore the merits and attractions of using a CMS. I had wanted to have a good grasp of the underlying lying languages and, good news, I am now at the point where I am exploring the various CMS systems (I like WebSiteBaker so far)!

I am definitely planning to give the site a MAJOR facelift so that it looks a lot nices (let's be honest, a raw HTML/CSS site looks pretty horrible) but I expect that will be a month or so away as it will take me a little time to plan, build and test before I deploy it (I use XAMPP running on a Linux Mint platform and also had to learn BOTH of those platforms).

Zim
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

I am pleased to confirm that after a very long break this year due to other work commitments that I have resumed work on further content in the guide.

I have just published chapter 10 which covers "Standard Data Types". The content can be found at http://www.harbour-guide.com

I am now hoping to be able to produce and publish the next few chapters whilst I am between jobs and taking a short break. This is a "part time" project which I do when I have spare time available; Hopefully, I won't get fresh work in too soon! :(

Zim
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Zimbo wrote:I am pleased to confirm that after a very long break this year due to other work commitments that I have resumed work on further content in the guide.

I have just published chapter 10 which covers "Standard Data Types". The content can be found at http://www.harbour-guide.com

I am now hoping to be able to produce and publish the next few chapters whilst I am between jobs and taking a short break. This is a "part time" project which I do when I have spare time available; Hopefully, I won't get fresh work in too soon! :(

Zim
Hi Zim

Good work :)

Robust structure, clear and easy to understand explanation, cute user interface :arrow:

Please continue :)

Happy HMG'ing :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
tonton2

Post by tonton2 »

merci beaucoup Zimpo
c'est extra ce que vous faites
L'Algerie vous salut
Y.TABET
ROBROS
DBs Used: DBF