Problem with screen resolution

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Javier Tovar

Re: Problem with screen resolution

Post by Javier Tovar »

dhaine_adp wrote:Hi Marek,
I've tested my app on old laptop (Intel Celeron M 1.4GHz, 512MB, Win XP Prof.) and it works very fine. Visual speed (browse, grid on screen) is almost the same as on the big machine (Intel Core I5 3.2GHz 8GB RAM, Win 8.1).
IMO, the problem lays in client machine.
You didn't mention how many computers are affected by slowness and if the application is stand alone or network/shared application. However I believed that you are 99% correct that the problem is on your client's machine.

Slowness in computer are caused by:
(1) Antivirus installed (How many Antivirus program are installed?)
(2) Defective HDD, hard disk with bad sectors, listen to HDD sound when it reads or when your program is running and processing something. Also observed the HDD led lights if its working normally.
(3) Fragmented files cause slowness too.
(4) Check for recently installed program from Control Panel-> Program and Features, sort it by date and checked for recent program they've installed. If you find one uninstall it and check or asked your client when was the last date and time that your application works fine and do a System Restore through msconfig (press windows logo + R, then type msconfig, click OK, select system restore and launch).
(5) Check BIOS settings, load factory default and then save the changes.
(6) If you can't resolved the problem from the above procedure, you would need another HDD and reload windows on that HDD and test your application again. Its time consuming but sometimes the only way to prove your point to hard headed clients. (I prefer to do it in this way to those picky clients and of course they would have to pay an additional fee and when the same situation arise they think twice).
(7) If that's a network application, slowness can cause by a failing network card, lose cable, defective patch cable and or high bandwidth utilization due to network traffic but that is highly unlikely and difficult to trace most especially if they are using hub instead of a switch that can be managed. However you can disconnect all workstations and connect them one by one to locate the workstation with failing network card. Or ping localhost or ping 127.0.0.1 you should get ping replies. If you get General failure, the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced.
(8) Use WireShark to do packet sniffing so that you can see what's going on in the network.
DANNY RECHARGED :)
O
DANNY REVOLUTION :)

Regards