Growing Attention To HMG/Harbour Programming From Indonesia

Topic Specific Tutorials and Tips.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Agil Abdullah

Growing Attention To HMG/Harbour Programming From Indonesia

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Hi All,

This is to inform you that for the last 2 months, I've witnessed a growing attention to HMG & Harbour Programming.

This info is my personal information originated from my own documents in the forms of :

(1) emails sent to my accounts
(2) messages sent to my FB-inbox.

The Profiles & Backgrounds of them, I can figure out as follows:

(1) 40% young students of University/Academy majoring in Informatika/Software
(2) 30% young students of High School
(3) 20% ex Clipper Programmers
(4) 10% Indonesian Labourers working abroad.

Communication with me:

(1) 90% via Social Media
(2) 10% face-to-face contact

Total numbers of them I found serious are around 20-30 people. I count them serious when they keep in touch with me, frequently ask me to send them any HMG/Harbour tutorials and/or links, any kind of contact to ask for my advice to become programmer.

Please note that a lot of good programmers in Indonesia. I'am not the best. I'm only avarage progrmmer. But why they are interested in learning from me? It's all because of my story published in public blog, 3 years ago, that read like this:

In 1983-1984 I was a young boy working as Office Boy for a sub-petroleum company with 1200 employees. Then I did self-study in Computer without any background of IT/EDP. I could happended because my boss bought a PC from Singapore and suddenly told me, "Agil, this machine is computer. I leave it to you to study how to operate it. When you succeed, you must teach all of us".

I studied alone in office's kichen in every spare time after serving staff. Sometime till down in the morning with PC & manual/books, not went home. One year later I become Yunior Programmer. I got outside job as Computer Instructor for a number of companies. Then come Mr.Rama Krishnan (senior programmer from India who was in duty to installed Finance System at my office. I read all his documentations in program building in COBOL. 5 years later I started selling my own system (programs) to public using Clipper. That's a story which inspires my Indonesian followers, especially those from low-level family who want to improve their life.

They understand that Computer Programming for me is not only about hobby & career. But it's all about struggle of life (from poor Office Boy to became Programmer till became Owner of Software House).

That's all for today.

Salam Hangat From Jakarta
Last edited by Agil Abdullah on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: Growing Attention To HMG/Harbour Programming From Indonesia

Post by esgici »

Agil Abdullah wrote: This is to inform you that for the last 2 months, I've witnessed a growing attention to HMG & Harbour Programming.
Congrats !

Please go ahead :arrow:

By the way, do you thing add "Translate" button to your site ?

Happy HMG'ing :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Hi Brothet Esgicy,

I'have been preparing to add "Indonesian Language" selection to HMG.3.3.1 UNICODE. I've modified h_init.prg and still in trial, hehe.

Thanks
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Agil Abdullah wrote: I'have been preparing to add "Indonesian Language" selection to HMG.3.3.1 UNICODE. I've modified h_init.prg and still in trial, hehe.
I'm about translating your blogs \ articles in http://edukasi.kompasiana.com/ from Indonesian to English;
not HMG English to Indonesian.

By the way, instead of playing system files you may begin translate HMG-IDE ( by writing language files ). May be most useful for your Indonesian colleagues / students.

Salam datang
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Agil,

This is good news! Welcome to all Indonesian-(ex)-Clippers !

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Esgici,

Thank f your advice. What I try to do is only add language selection. Without changing anythinng. I see the last selection at DO CASE-ENDCASE is Slovanian language if not mistaken. So I copied one of selection then changed the values of HMG_SYSDATA[n] to Indonesian language. I.e. "Terima" for "Accept", "Batal" for "Cancel".

Salam Hangat/regards... Selamat Datang/welcome.
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Serge,

A lot of ex Clipper programmers in my country do not speak English. They got translation in Indonesian when doing with Clipper/Foxpro. THey all senior programmers who fail to exercise with Harbour without help. That's why I should help them to migrate to Harbour and HMG. Especially to those who sent me messages for help.

Thanks.