HMDIDE : Preferences - Cannot find Lib

General Help regarding HMG, Compilation, Linking, Samples

Moderator: Rathinagiri

CCH4CLIPPER

HMDIDE : Preferences - Cannot find Lib

Post by CCH4CLIPPER »

Hi

I tried to add SuperLIb.lib(recompiled in Xharbour) under Additional Libraries such as c:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib.
Upon building,

ld: cannot find -lc:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib
mingw32-make.exe: *** [C:\hmg\PROJECTS\FAS4HMG\FAS_MAIN.exe] Error 1
Finished With Errors.

Do you notice the 'l' after '-' thus perhaps pathing to lc:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib instead of c:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib

CCH
http://cch4clipper.blogspot.com
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: HMDIDE : Preferences - Cannot find Lib

Post by esgici »

CCH4CLIPPER wrote:Hi

I tried to add SuperLIb.lib(recompiled in Xharbour) under Additional Libraries such as c:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib.
Upon building,

ld: cannot find -lc:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib
mingw32-make.exe: *** [C:\hmg\PROJECTS\FAS4HMG\FAS_MAIN.exe] Error 1
Finished With Errors.

Do you notice the 'l' after '-' thus perhaps pathing to lc:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib instead of c:\xhb\superlib\superlib.lib

CCH
Hi CCH

You are running very quickly, perhaps tomorrow we cannot reach you :?

First, since our C compiler is MinGW, library files to use must be in accordance with it.
If you have MinGW version of SuperLib, you problem will be solved.

Second, in HMG ( I don't now, this may be a MinGW rule) library file names begin with "lib" and have "a" file extension.
Take a litttle look at "C:\hmg\MINGW\lib" directory. So, when you specify a library file name in "additional libraries" TextBox of "Tools\Preferences" page of IDE, you need no specify ".a" extension.

Sorry, I don't have any opinion about "-lc:"

BTW, when we first meet with a drink, (such as coffee), before mixed it with other recipes, (such as cream); learning its plain taste isn't better way ?

Regards

--

esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
CCH4CLIPPER

Post by CCH4CLIPPER »

Hi Escigi

I have also omitted the .lib as per the hmg_help.chm but I still get the same message. I think it is a hmgide bug as it says cannot find and not that it is it cannot recognise/accept etc

BTW, the mixed mode does work but not the way that I expect ...

CCH
esgici

Post by esgici »

CCH4CLIPPER wrote:Hi Escigi

I have also omitted the .lib as per the hmg_help.chm but I still get the same message. I think it is a hmgide bug as it says cannot find and not that it is it cannot recognise/accept etc

BTW, the mixed mode does work but not the way that I expect ...

CCH
Hi CCH
hmg_help.chm wrote: Library names must not include the 'lib' prefix nor '.a' extension.
Does this meant "you can use ANY file name; sufficiency without extension." ?

Certainly no. Only HMG-MAKE ( embedded in the HMG-IDE ) assume that user supported library file name have "a" extention, so does not required file extension specified within preferences.
esgici wrote:...since our C compiler is MinGW, library files to use must be in accordance with it.
If you have MinGW version of SuperLib, you problem will be solved.
This is only a compatibility issue. Internal structure / format of library files can be change from system to system. As a matter of fact, library files of MinGW ( with "a" extension) are different than traditional, conventional, classic library files with "lib" extension.

If Superlib is indispensable for you, the only way is MinGW compatible version of it.

Regards

-- esgici
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

I think superlib sources are available. In that case, we can compile them using MingW and get the library. Isn't it?
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
esgici

Post by esgici »

rathinagiri wrote:I think superlib sources are available. In that case, we can compile them using MingW and get the library. Isn't it?
Hello Rathinagiri

I don't know it's free or not.

If it's free, absolutely YES ! We can build a MingW compatible library by using MinGW itself.

Regards

--

esgici
CCH4CLIPPER

Post by CCH4CLIPPER »

Hi Escigi

Yes, it has been released to public domain. You may want to check at Phil Barnett Clipper FTP site, link at Clipper... Clipper..Clipper.

You can also download the Xharbour version (by a contributor) in the community pages at xHarbour.com

CCH