Why I hate report generators ? :)

Source code related resources

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Why I hate report generators ? :)

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Hi All,

My first paid (true) job was as RPG programmer on IBM S/36 AS/400 systems.

For 'kids' here (< 40 years old ) I must say that RPG was an horrible programming language.

It has its own 'logic' trying to being always 'looping' to make easier the process of report creation.

The problem is that sometimes (always :) ) you need to do something different than a report in a program, so, you should to 'fight' the language to make it work as you expected (I've exaggerated a little because the angry against 'him' ).

From then (a lot of time!) I've (with a few exceptions) done reports in my applications 'by hand' having total control of the output generated.

While analyzing report manager commented by Rathinagiri, I've realized that could be really useful have one in HMG (and that I should cure myself of my post-traumatic stress case :) )

So, I coded a little and we have now a very early prototype of the 'HMG report writer'! (attached to this message).

Enjoy!

Roberto.
Attachments
report.rar
(14.13 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Vanguarda

Re: Why I hate report generators ? :)

Post by Vanguarda »

Roberto Lopez wrote:Hi All,

My first paid (true) job was as RPG programmer on IBM S/36 AS/400 systems.

For 'kids' here (< 40 years old ) I must say that RPG was an horrible programming language.

It has its own 'logic' trying to being always 'looping' to make easier the process of report creation.

The problem is that the sometimes (always :) ) you need to do something different than a report in a program, so, you should to 'fight' the language to make it work as you expected (I've exaggerated a little because the angry against 'him' ).

From then (a lot of time!) I've (with a few exceptions) done reports in my applications 'by hand' having total control of the output generated.

While analyzing report manager commented by Rathinagiri, I've realized that could be really useful have one in HMG (and that I should cure myself of my post-traumatic stress case :) )

So, I coded a little and we have now a very early prototype of the 'HMG report writer'! (attached to this message).

Enjoy!

Roberto.
Thanks master, i will test it.

PS: About horrible programming language. For me COBOL and PCL are the most horrible.... :lol:

with best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Vanguarda wrote: PS: About horrible programming language. For me COBOL and PCL are the most horrible.... :lol:
I don't believe you... everybody loves those wonderfull things like identification division... environment division.... data division... working storage section... (I've been a COBOL programmer too :) ).

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Hi Master,

I test the lib and it work fine with me.

I like it.

Please, i can say only one suggestion?!

Why you not allow this lib work with array too? Well today when I generate a report, i read the my SQL database and recording the array into a temporary DBF and after print. So we could print the array directly if exist a lib that work with array.

Is only my humble wish...

PS: Sorry my bad english.

With best regards,
--

Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Vanguarda wrote: PS: About horrible programming language. For me COBOL and PCL are the most horrible.... :lol:
I don't believe you... everybody loves those wonderfull things like identification division... environment division.... data division... working storage section... (I've been a COBOL programmer too :) ).

Regards,

Roberto.
Sorry master, but it is only my opinion... I don´t like COBOL, it dont is flexible. :oops:
--

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Vanguarda wrote: Sorry master, but it is only my opinion... I don´t like COBOL, it dont is flexible. :oops:
ehhhh..... it was a joke... I hate it too :)

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Vanguarda wrote: Sorry master, but it is only my opinion... I don´t like COBOL, it dont is flexible. :oops:
ehhhh..... it was a joke... I hate it too :)

Regards,

Roberto.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Vanguarda wrote: Why you not allow this lib work with array too? Well today when I generate a report, i read the my SQL database and recording the array into a temporary DBF and after print. So we could print the array directly if exist a lib that work with array.
I work with SQL tables too and I retireve as arrays, so I've considered that and I'll surely do (as I've said its a very early prototype yet).

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Vanguarda wrote: Why you not allow this lib work with array too? Well today when I generate a report, i read the my SQL database and recording the array into a temporary DBF and after print. So we could print the array directly if exist a lib that work with array.
I work with SQL tables too and I retireve as arrays, so I've considered that and I'll surely do (as I've said its a very early prototype yet).

Regards,

Roberto.
Thanks Master.

You are amazing.

with best regards,
--

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Fantastic! No words to thank. :)

It will DEFINITELY be useful to everyone using HMG. Just great.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.