Why I hate report generators ? :)

Source code related resources

Moderator: Rathinagiri

User avatar
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Why I hate report generators ? :)

Post by Roberto Lopez » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi All,

My first paid (true) job was as RPG programmer on IBM S/36 AS/400 systems.

For 'kids' here (< 40 years old ) I must say that RPG was an horrible programming language.

It has its own 'logic' trying to being always 'looping' to make easier the process of report creation.

The problem is that sometimes (always :) ) you need to do something different than a report in a program, so, you should to 'fight' the language to make it work as you expected (I've exaggerated a little because the angry against 'him' ).

From then (a lot of time!) I've (with a few exceptions) done reports in my applications 'by hand' having total control of the output generated.

While analyzing report manager commented by Rathinagiri, I've realized that could be really useful have one in HMG (and that I should cure myself of my post-traumatic stress case :) )

So, I coded a little and we have now a very early prototype of the 'HMG report writer'! (attached to this message).

Enjoy!

Roberto.
Attachments
report.rar
(14.13 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto


(Veritas Filia Temporis)

User avatar
Vanguarda
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Americana - SP
Contact:

Post by Vanguarda » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Roberto Lopez wrote:Hi All,

My first paid (true) job was as RPG programmer on IBM S/36 AS/400 systems.

For 'kids' here (< 40 years old ) I must say that RPG was an horrible programming language.

It has its own 'logic' trying to being always 'looping' to make easier the process of report creation.

The problem is that the sometimes (always :) ) you need to do something different than a report in a program, so, you should to 'fight' the language to make it work as you expected (I've exaggerated a little because the angry against 'him' ).

From then (a lot of time!) I've (with a few exceptions) done reports in my applications 'by hand' having total control of the output generated.

While analyzing report manager commented by Rathinagiri, I've realized that could be really useful have one in HMG (and that I should cure myself of my post-traumatic stress case :) )

So, I coded a little and we have now a very early prototype of the 'HMG report writer'! (attached to this message).

Enjoy!

Roberto.
Thanks master, i will test it.

PS: About horrible programming language. For me COBOL and PCL are the most horrible.... :lol:

with best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)


http://hmglights.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Post by Roberto Lopez » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Vanguarda wrote: PS: About horrible programming language. For me COBOL and PCL are the most horrible.... :lol:
I don't believe you... everybody loves those wonderfull things like identification division... environment division.... data division... working storage section... (I've been a COBOL programmer too :) ).

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto


(Veritas Filia Temporis)

User avatar
Vanguarda
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Americana - SP
Contact:

Post by Vanguarda » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:00 am

Hi Master,

I test the lib and it work fine with me.

I like it.

Please, i can say only one suggestion?!

Why you not allow this lib work with array too? Well today when I generate a report, i read the my SQL database and recording the array into a temporary DBF and after print. So we could print the array directly if exist a lib that work with array.

Is only my humble wish...

PS: Sorry my bad english.

With best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)


http://hmglights.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Vanguarda
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Americana - SP
Contact:

Post by Vanguarda » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Vanguarda wrote: PS: About horrible programming language. For me COBOL and PCL are the most horrible.... :lol:
I don't believe you... everybody loves those wonderfull things like identification division... environment division.... data division... working storage section... (I've been a COBOL programmer too :) ).

Regards,

Roberto.
Sorry master, but it is only my opinion... I don´t like COBOL, it dont is flexible. :oops:
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)


http://hmglights.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Post by Roberto Lopez » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14 am

Vanguarda wrote: Sorry master, but it is only my opinion... I don´t like COBOL, it dont is flexible. :oops:
ehhhh..... it was a joke... I hate it too :)

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto


(Veritas Filia Temporis)

User avatar
Vanguarda
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Americana - SP
Contact:

Post by Vanguarda » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:16 am

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Vanguarda wrote: Sorry master, but it is only my opinion... I don´t like COBOL, it dont is flexible. :oops:
ehhhh..... it was a joke... I hate it too :)

Regards,

Roberto.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)


http://hmglights.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Post by Roberto Lopez » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:22 am

Vanguarda wrote: Why you not allow this lib work with array too? Well today when I generate a report, i read the my SQL database and recording the array into a temporary DBF and after print. So we could print the array directly if exist a lib that work with array.
I work with SQL tables too and I retireve as arrays, so I've considered that and I'll surely do (as I've said its a very early prototype yet).

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto


(Veritas Filia Temporis)

User avatar
Vanguarda
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Americana - SP
Contact:

Post by Vanguarda » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 am

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Vanguarda wrote: Why you not allow this lib work with array too? Well today when I generate a report, i read the my SQL database and recording the array into a temporary DBF and after print. So we could print the array directly if exist a lib that work with array.
I work with SQL tables too and I retireve as arrays, so I've considered that and I'll surely do (as I've said its a very early prototype yet).

Regards,

Roberto.
Thanks Master.

You are amazing.


with best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)


http://hmglights.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Rathinagiri
Posts: 5039
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:30 pm
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL
Location: Sivakasi, India
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 89 times
Contact:

Post by Rathinagiri » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:17 am

Fantastic! No words to thank. :)

It will DEFINITELY be useful to everyone using HMG. Just great.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest