A Beginners Guide to Programming with Harbour and HMG

Topic Specific Tutorials and Tips.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Zimbo

A Beginners Guide to Programming with Harbour and HMG

Post by Zimbo »

Update - I have moved my updates on this guide to the HMG Tutorials and Tips section of the forum as that seems a more appropriate place for it!

I have just completed a further update of the published content to my website which can be found (edit on 8 Jan 2016) at http://www.harbour-guide.com/.

Rather than publish the next chapter, chapter 7, this week I have chosen to upload a number of revisions to Chapters 1 to 5 including a fairly major re-write of the content contained in chapter 5 as I felt the explanation of Syntax was a little weak. I also wanted to add a downloadable code sample to help explain the difference between standard and alternate syntax. Secondly, I have also included a downloadable sample to demonstrate the various standard messages and controls such as MsgInfo() and MsgStop().

I am working on the first draft of chapters 15 - 26 and have added an outline of the subjects I plan to include to the "Contents" page.

Finally, I am also completing a proof read of the final chapters in section 1 (6, 7 and 8) and aim to post chapter 7 next week with any revisions to chapter 6, then chapter 8 the following Friday.

That brings me to early December at which point I intend to take a break from posting further content while I turn my attention to other matters, not least, the next phase in learning web development! I plan to continue with the guide from early January starting with uploading the chapters for Section 2.

Any feedback, as ever, is very welcome!

Z
Last edited by Zimbo on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zimbo

Re: A Beginners Guide to Programming with Harbour and HMG

Post by Zimbo »

Hello.

A revision to chapter 6 has been uploaded along with Chapter 7.

Z
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Zimbo wrote:Hello.

A revision to chapter 6 has been uploaded along with Chapter 7.

Z
Nice,

please continue :arrow:

Viva HMG :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

I support the project, or will write what bothers me and how to improve
Navigation: At the end of each chapter to put the "next"
Now, when you are on Chapter 4, choose "back" and then move on to Chapter 5, unnecessarily
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

I have now published Chapter 8, the final chapter from Section 1.

(edit on 8 Jan 2016) at http://www.harbour-guide.com/.

Thank you for all the feedback. I intend to keep going with the guide and am working on the chapters for Section 2 and Section 3. I also thank Dragancesu for the suggestion about including a "Next" button.

My plan now is to focus on the next stage of website development to improve layout, appearance and usability (including a "Next" button). I intend to complete this by the end of the month (I have a lot of CSS to learn and implement! :o )...

Therefore, I plan to start uploading each of the chapters in Section 2 from January 2016 onwards...

Zim
Last edited by Zimbo on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Following a successful trial during 2015, I am pleased to launch a new dedicated website for "A Beginners Guide to Programming with Harbour and HMG".

All content previously published in 2015 on the old website has been migrated to this site and work has now commenced on the next stage of the project to develop and publish the guide which will be the content for Section 2.

http://www.harbour-guide.com

I would like to thank all of those who have provided feedback during the trial phase in 2015 and I'd welcome any feedback on the (I hope) improved layout and appearance of the site. I am still learning HTML and CSS, so such feedback is very useful!

Zim
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Chapter 9 - the first in Section 2 - has been published today.

http://www.harbour-guide.com

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will probably not be publishing any further updates in the next 6 weeks or so. More details were also published in the "Latest News" section on the site.

As ever, I would welcome feedback and especially so regards chapter 9 which I have a feeling might be a little "controversial" for the really experienced amongst you. The main thing to remember is one of my main objectives is to try and help absolute beginners get started programming - hopefully with Harbour and HMG - so I tried really hard to keep some of the theory as simple as possible. Quite a tough job!

Thanks all,

Z
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Very good lokking, Zimbo!
Thanks, Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
quartz565

Post by quartz565 »

Thank you Zimpo !
Very nice !
Best Regards,
Nikos.

Tiger

Post by Tiger »

Zimpo, Keep going ... and waiting for your next section. Thank you.