Strange behaviour notepad++

General Help regarding HMG, Compilation, Linking, Samples

Moderator: Rathinagiri

ROBROS
DBs Used: DBF

Strange behaviour notepad++

Post by ROBROS »

Hi friends,
today I was told by notepad++ that an update was available, I chose to install while a source file was open. From that moment all my changes to the source file were ignored by the compiler, I had closed the source-file with the upper-right "x". (I use IDE "RUN", works fine, sometimes "hangs up") Loading the source file again into np++ showed me the changes that I had made.
After some time I decided to "save" the source-code, and everything was ok. It seems np++ keeps the original source as long in memory as the "save"-option was not explicitly chosen. That's a new behaviour of np++.

I didn't find any settings to change this.

Anyone with the same experience?

Today I made some progress with "FileDate" and file comparing via "copy structure extended to".
Coming from dBase I admit, clipper is superior.

Robert
gcarrizo

Re: Strange behaviour notepad++

Post by gcarrizo »

8-)

Bueno, en realidad uso Synwrite pero intenté hacer el test a np ++.
En np ++ tengo demasiados documentos cargados ,cuando trato de aplicar la actualización, solo muestra un error como "búfer de memoria muy poco".
Cerré algunos documentos y me dejan aplicar la actualización.
np ++ nunca hizo eso.
Con la nueva versión instalada y configurada en el ide HMG, no tengo ningún problema al compilar y respeta todos los cambios realizados con np ++.
Saludos Atentamente.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well actually use Synwrite but i try testing np++ .
In np++ i have too many documents loaded, when i try applies update , just display an error like ' memory buffer too little ' .
Then I close some documents and now them let me applies the update .
np++ never did that.
With the new version installed and configured in the ide HMG I don't have any troubles when compiling and respect all changes did with np++.
Best Regards.
PeteWG

Post by PeteWG »

Well, notepad++ update is a ticket to uncertainty. sometimes succeeds without consequences, sometimes break things. (seems like it's mimicking the notorious windows updates ("update and pray" situations).
I did an np++ update today; it broke harbour syntax highlight (colors). Ok, that was not a big loss compared to that I faced some months ago, where all my configuration (plugins, udl, custom menus, etc. - almost everything in appdata) had been ruined! (fortunately, i had learned the lesson* and I restored easily).
Anyhow, np++ is quite good but, sometimes, it can trigger really evil things :twisted:, e.g. when getting into "bad moon" update mode. (which, unhappily, isn't a too rare case).

*the lesson is: do not forget to take back-up for everything, especially for the most lost-prone data.

regards,
Pete
ROBROS

Post by ROBROS »

Thank you for your answers, but another question:
I have installed programmer's notepad too.So far I haven't found out how to make (view-menu) the line numbers being shown automatically.

Pete wrote: it can trigger really evil things :twisted:, e.g. when getting into "bad moon" update mode.

How can I recognize this state? :lol:
But nevertheless, I've learned my lesson well.

@gcarrizo: in IDE np++ is my editor.

Robert
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

I always do the manual update, just download the zip file and then copy all files ( exclude "functionList.xml") to notepad++ folder. In this way everything will work fine...
ROBROS

Post by ROBROS »

Hi Tiger,
that sounds pretty good.
Thank you