A proposal for a feature in RichEditBox control

HMG Unicode versions 3.1.x related

Moderator: Rathinagiri

kcarmody

Re: A proposal for a feature in RichEditBox control

Post by kcarmody »

Two additional resources:
  • You can download a chart of Unicode characters for the script you are interested in from http://www.unicode.org/charts/.
  • You can download a very nice utility called BabelMap from http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html This program shows all the characters in Unicode and allows you to select them into a buffer. You can use BabelMap to type small amounts of text in any script. For each character, BabelMap also shows the name, numeric value (called a code point), a list of fonts on your system containing the character, and many other great features.
Kevin
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

bpd2000 wrote:How to add Gujarat Language along with Devnagari
Gujarati is very similar to Devanagari, so it should be easy to modify AksharaPad to do Gujarati. Start by downloading the Unicode code charts for Gujarati and Devanagari from http://www.unicode.org/charts/. Notice that the code points for Gujarati are 0x0A80 to 0x0AFF, while Devanagari goes from 0x0900 to 0x097F. Almost every Gujarati character corresponds to a Devanagari character, and the two charts are very parallel, with the Gujarati code point above the corresponding Devanagari code point by a fixed difference of 0x0180. For instance અ (GUJARATI LETTER A) is at 0x0A85, and अ (DEVANAGARI LETTER A) is at 0x0905.

Several Devanagari letters are designed for Hindi, English, and other languages and have no equivalent in Gujarati. This accounts for the blank spaces in the Gujarati code chart.

Kevin
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

kcarmody wrote:
bpd2000 wrote:How to add Gujarat Language along with Devnagari
Gujarati is very similar to Devanagari, so it should be easy to modify AksharaPad to do Gujarati. Start by downloading the Unicode code charts for Gujarati and Devanagari from http://www.unicode.org/charts/. Notice that the code points for Gujarati are 0x0A80 to 0x0AFF, while Devanagari goes from 0x0900 to 0x097F. Almost every Gujarati character corresponds to a Devanagari character, and the two charts are very parallel, with the Gujarati code point above the corresponding Devanagari code point by a fixed difference of 0x0180. For instance અ (GUJARATI LETTER A) is at 0x0A85, and अ (DEVANAGARI LETTER A) is at 0x0905.

Several Devanagari letters are designed for Hindi, English, and other languages and have no equivalent in Gujarati. This accounts for the blank spaces in the Gujarati code chart.

Kevin
Thank you Sir for excellent tip and guidance and source code
I will try to create GujaratiPad on the basis of your help
I am permitted to use your source code
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

kcarmody wrote:Two additional resources:
  • You can download a chart of Unicode characters for the script you are interested in from http://www.unicode.org/charts/.
  • You can download a very nice utility called BabelMap from http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html This program shows all the characters in Unicode and allows you to select them into a buffer. You can use BabelMap to type small amounts of text in any script. For each character, BabelMap also shows the name, numeric value (called a code point), a list of fonts on your system containing the character, and many other great features.
Kevin
Additional thanks to additional guidance :)

Viva HMG :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

bpd2000 wrote:I am permitted to use your source code
If you are asking, yes, certainly you may use it. For this very reason I have made it open source.

Kevin
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

Interested to know how you have selected Devnagari language for your project
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

It is wonderful to see AksharaPad. Thanks for sharing the source code!
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

bpd2000 wrote:Interested to know how you have selected Devnagari language for your project
I live near Maharishi University of Management in Iowa. There are a number of Sanskrit scholars here, mostly Westerners, who are interested in typing Sanskrit in both Devanagari and Romanization. Software developers at M.U.M. have been developing Devanagari software since the 1980's, and I am simply the latest of them.

For the past few years, we have been transitioning from the custom non-Unicode software we developed decades ago to Unicode. But I was not able to find a simple WordPad-like application that could output Devanagari. Since I know Harbour well but not C/C++, I was looking for a word processing program in Harbour that could be adapted to a Devanagari typing application.

I was very happy to find such a program in HMG, the Rich Edit demo. So I first brought the Rich Edit demo closer to WordPad (my proposed Rich Edit demo enhancement) and then I added Devanagari features to create AksharaPad.

At M.U.M. we are primarily focused on Sanskrit, but I have also tried to make AksharaPad comfortable for speakers of Hindi, Marathi, Nepali, etc.

Kevin
Last edited by kcarmody on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

Rathinagiri wrote:It is wonderful to see AksharaPad. Thanks for sharing the source code!
Thank you, Rathinagiriji. It was an interesting project, and I thank everyone who worked on Harbour and HMG that made it possible.
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

I am trying to create TamilPad :)
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.