Moderator: Rathinagiri

quartz565

HMG v3.1.5 - Set Language error

Post by quartz565 »

hhi all,

Code: Select all

SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK
In ANSI-IDE (HMG 3.1.5) it also gives me the following error:

C:\DOKIMES.WIN\test.prg(57) Error E0030 Syntax error "syntax error at 'LANGUAGE'"

Nikos

[u]Moderator Notes[/u] (Pablo César) wrote:Message moved from topic HMG v3.1.5 IDE error when changing default language.
Best Regards,
Nikos.

quartz565

Re: HMG v3.1.5 IDE error when changing default language

Post by quartz565 »

in Windows Server 2003
Best Regards,
Nikos.

Pablo César

Re: HMG v3.1.5 - SeLanguage error

Post by Pablo César »

Hi Nikos !

I have decided move your messages here in this section because I believe your problems are different than that topic and here we extend ourselves with more details about your case. And I will try to explain what I suppose that is happening. Perhaps Dr. Soto can better explain and confirm if this is so, since he has a lot more knowledge in UNICODE version of HMG.

From what I know, the HMG version 3.1.5 was released for the UNICODE standard and although you have not shown your code (mainly in the line of the error), I think you are wanting to work in ANSI and for this you will have to recompile all the libraries in the current version 3.1.5 to ANSI mode (but his I do not recomend). Then the "SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK" believe it will work. But I think you should work on UNICODE.

If I am wrong in my estimation, could you explain better and provide us your code or part of it?

Remember Nikos, if you will work with UNICODE, all yours source codes (prg, rc, hbp, hbc, ch, fmg and also ini if in it are special characters) MUST be in UNICODE format. So if not, I suggest to edit your existing files, open it with Notepad++, set Notepad++ to UTF-8 mode (at Notepad++ "Encondig" menu), correct ALL your greeks strings (poorly presented on the screen) and then Save file. But work with UNICODE.

If you still have problems, please post your doubts and show us error msgs and if is posible your code, we will help you.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
srvet_claudio

Re: HMG v3.1.5 - Set Language error

Post by srvet_claudio »

quartz565 wrote:hhi all,

Code: Select all

SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK
In ANSI-IDE (HMG 3.1.5) it also gives me the following error:

C:\DOKIMES.WIN\test.prg(57) Error E0030 Syntax error "syntax error at 'LANGUAGE'"

Nikos
Hi Nikos,
In HMG (all versions) the command SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK not exist, only exist:
SET CODEPAGE TO GREEK --> set ANSI codepage to Greek

SET LANGUAGE TO XXX --> sets messages of Harbour and HMG to language XXX

Best regards,
Claudio.
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com
quartz565

Post by quartz565 »

Hi Claudio and Pablo,

thank you for your answers.

Am I correct to understand that the SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK is not supported? (as I get a compilation error when I use it - Pablo, I compile with ANSI-IDE (HMG 3.1.5) )

If I do not define it (SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK ) what is my loss? Only the messages of Harbour and HMG to language GREEK are not shown? or I am missing something else as well?

I have also noticed that SET LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH or SLOVENIAN works! Is there something affecting ONLY the GREEK?

Regards
Nikos
Best Regards,
Nikos.

esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

quartz565 wrote:... Is there something affecting ONLY the GREEK?...
Hi Nikos

Please be calm :)

Technology don't obey to political nor ethnic limits !

So nobody may be has a behavior to against this or that nation.

First, this is a Harbour subject, not HMG.

And second as far as I know, LANGUAGE and Code Page routines prepared by Harbour users for their own language. For example, I remembering, years ago I prepared that routines for my native language. As far as I remember, these was two small C functions.

And please don't afraid; I have almost nothing on C language. Simply I got functions for any other language and simply changed characters; that is all. Sadly I don't remember what name of that functions and where they are reside :(

Please go Harbour user grup or Harbour developer grup and ask help. Surely you will get help for your need.

Happy HMG'ing :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Pablo César

HMG v3.1.5 - Set Language error

Post by Pablo César »

Hi dear Nikos, I'll try to explain about this matter of language, because I see that there is a misunderstanding and I hope I will not be talking something wrong (someone correct me then).

And as our colleague has already expressed, there is no any prejudice about any language within the HMG. There is a limitation languages for internal messages of HMG and HMG IDE. But this is because there are several reasons to resolve this issue:

When I say "internal messages of HMG" I refer to all messages (informational and error ones) of functions that were created in HMG. These messages do not include the Harbour internal ones or MinGW compiler ones nor any other external library that can be added to your project. To display the internal messages, the HMG currently makes use of its own source code. And these "translations" that are in various languages​​, thus demanding conditions of various items in the code and this is a very important point that must be seen and re-evaluated in order to be detached from the source code. Instead, perhaps as a solution, in the future there may be a file (perhaps. INI) for each language. But there will always be another problem.

Who do these translations? Given that, no one knows ALL the languages ​​of the world to perfection and even utilizing the "Google Translator", not everything is translated efficiently. So we have to appeal to our good colleagues of each country to compose so altruistic native language and thus enrich our beloved HMG.

Messages of IDE, if you notice, has a. INI for each available language​​. But that was because there were users who provided their translations from English into their native language and that are available still today. If by chance you want to contribute for greek language, I do not see why not HMG use it in next version upgrades.
quartz565 wrote:Am I correct to understand that the SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK is not supported ?
So, when Dr. Soto said is not supported perhaps he is referring to is not supported in these terms that I just explained. But all the messages that you would put in your applications (in your case in the Greek language) and even better in UNICODE version, will appear exactly as you put in your source code. So we can not say that the Greek language (or any language) is not possible to display in your applications. Ok ?
(as I get a compilation error when I use it - Pablo, I compile with ANSI-IDE (HMG 3.1.5) )
Dear Nikos, my suggestion is to forget about ANSI version. Now is discontinued. UNICODE mode is more practical and garanteed use for several languages. I understand that you have already made in ANSI because you made it a long time ago, but I suggest to convert all your source files redoing all greek messages and we can work on together. Otherwise will be very dificult to give you support with the new enhacements of new version of HMG.
If I do not define it (SET LANGUAGE TO GREEK ) what is my loss ?
As I said, not loss will ocurr if you use in UNICODE and you write in you sorce code in greek BUT you source editor (lets says: Notepad++) MUST be in UTF-8 format.
Only the messages of Harbour and HMG to language GREEK are not shown ?
As I said, Harbour will be displayed in English, but this is no usual messages. Only is displayed when an error ocurred or at any special situation (I do not remember now). And for internal messages of HMG, probably in the future, you can add a greek language into your library.
or I am missing something else as well ?
Well there is a lot to learn about actual HMG version and also HMG is growing up with all of our experiences together. So I believe we are in the right way by UNICODE mode thanks to our good colleague Dr. Soto and all the staff of forum members.
I have also noticed that SET LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH or SLOVENIAN works! Is there something affecting ONLY the GREEK?
I am sorry, but there are only these languages avaliable and probably most of then not updated. Because new functions have been avaliable during new HMG releases.

SET LANGUAGE TO <cLanguage> is allowed:
- ENGLISH
- SPANISH
- FRENCH (codepage not)
- PORTUGUESE
- GERMAN
- RUSSIAN
- ITALIAN (codepage not)
- POLISH
- BASQUE (codepage not)
- CROATIAN (codepage not)
- SLOVENIAN
- CZECH (codepage not)
- DUTCH (codepage not)

SET LANGUAGE TO <cLanguage> is NOT allowed in HMG:
- GREEK
- UKRAINIAN
- BULGARIAN
- HUNGARIAN
- HUNGARIAN
- SLOVAK
- TURKISH (not in HMG and HMGS/MINIGUI)

Rest of languages (total of 130 languages) is also missing for HMG and HMGS/MINIGUI

I hope I have been able to contribute the best clarification possible and hopefully not wrong in my settings or some concept.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
quartz565

Post by quartz565 »

Dear Pablo,
I agree with you about the need to have a simple way how to handle these issues.
Thanks for the full explanation that you did for me. Now I can understand almost everything about this topic.

Thank you.

Dear Esgici,
Because my English - as you can see- not the best :? , some times the translation from Greek makes for me a partner, so some things can be misinterpreted. :|
However the last time I made a fuss about the flag of my country was when I was 17 years old. Since then (now I'm 59) I believe in people and not in symbols. So far from me such thoughts :)
I just wanted to emphasize that the word GREEK happens that error. That is the question nothing else.

Thank you all

Nikos
Best Regards,
Nikos.