HMG 3.1.5

HMG Unicode versions 3.1.x related

Moderator: Rathinagiri

CalScot

Re: HMG 3.1.5 (Test)

Post by CalScot »

The latest comments here have prompted me to ask something that I've wondered about since soon after I joined the forum a few months ago: When is a version regarded as a "stable" release?

I've seen quite a few posts that have referred to 3.0.46 as being "the last stable release". I mainly use 3.1.1, as it was the latest version when I joined (and I did have to apply some subsequent patches), but, when a new "(Test)" version is released, does that mean that the prior version is then considered stable, or is there some other criteria?

I've downloaded a couple of versions since 3.1.1, but before I see anything to suggest that they have become regarded as "stable", a new "(Test)" version appears.

I do not mean this as a criticism in any way -- quite the contrary; I remain in awe of the expertise and the patience in helping others that I have not only seen but have benefited from here -- but I do wonder whether having an official "Latest Stable Release" would make things easier for anyone who is new, who might not want to get involved in patches and pending updates as they struggle to get started with this wonderful software.

Thanks,
CalScot.
srvet_claudio

Re: HMG 3.1.5 - Improvements and corrections

Post by srvet_claudio »

Pablo César wrote:
srvet_claudio wrote:It's done, I opted for the suggestion of Esgici because I think is the best, the title bar of the IDE is already full and no longer fits more text.
Do not you think the title of the IDE is not necessary to be so large ? New ideas can be useful, improved and can be combined, may not ? Could accept both suggestions ?

I means... is it so necessary to have URL in the title ? Title also can give important details just when have several open projects and all IDEs sessions are minimized. By this suggestion we can see which one we wish to open:
Screen2.PNG
As shows the image with both indications, you can choose previusly the right session of HMG IDE.

Make this happen ! ;)
Everything is possible with patience and dedication. ;)
The problem is that the IDE is a project as big as HMG project and is very complex, for have an idea the main PRG file has more than 45000 lines of code, it is not easy to introduce changes to the IDE and being 100% sure that no going to affect the rest.
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com
Pablo César

Nomenclature "(Test)" + my concept of stable + suggestion

Post by Pablo César »

In my opinion, considering a stable program is to be free of errors or even its functionalities that could operate unexpectedly. I believe that when it launches new versions of HMG are tested before releasing them. But how throughout software, fits do whenever numerous tests in different situations and this demand a while very large. But usually I consider all stable versions yet something stopped working as it should. So then this error or bad behavior, should be reported here in the forum to correct or prepare the solution of the problem.
When I used to read (Test), I think that it means that is just for testing, but we know that we always do improvements and it also always requires testing. Therefore, we are constantly testing the product. So I do not see the requirement to always appear ("Test)." Now if the problem is to know if we are using the "latest" version, which supposes to be the most stable, my suggestion is when we would make changes or release at every patch released, we must also change version.txt file with a new nomenclature of version. This does not mean that we should use different numbers, we can consider the following numbers adding a alfa-character by alphabetical order. Example: 3.1.5.a, 3.1.5.b, 3.1.5.c. With so, we will know if our installed copy is with the "latest" version.
Eu acho que de agora em mais, a nomenclatura da versão com a frase adicional de "(Test)" irá ser removida.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
Pablo César

HMG 3.1.5 (Test)

Post by Pablo César »

srvet_claudio wrote:Everything is possible with patience and dedication.
Yes, sure my friend and I thank you very much for your attention a dedication. I considered much valious to suggest things just to open a dialog and we can discuss here in good order and for finding a best solution. :)
The problem is that the IDE is a project as big as HMG project and is very complex, for have an idea the main PRG file has more than 45000 lines of code, it is not easy to introduce changes to the IDE and being 100% sure that no going to affect the rest.
Yes, I understand. For me is not urgent thing, at moment as I said I use View_Build_Log for opening prg and this also set IDE title in the way I have appointed.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
dhaine_adp

Post by dhaine_adp »

Hi CalScot,
The latest comments here have prompted me to ask something that I've wondered about since soon after I joined the forum a few months ago: When is a version regarded as a "stable" release?
First and foremost Stable Releases may contain minor bugs as well or we call it limitations. On test release it is an attempt to cross that limitation as well as adding new features. At this point HMG core libraries are being modified that may introduced new bugs and incompatibilities to lower version. When it happened our application source code must be rewritten to conform with the new release. It doesn't happen all the time but it do happen.

In HMG tradition, if the goal in test release versions was achieved, no new features are added except for fixing bugs. All wishlist are set to be put on the new test release version. So after all those testings and retesting are done including the new Harbour nightly build if necessary a new HMG Stable Release has determined and issued in this forum and at sourceforge. So us, we upgraded to the new stable release and test our apps.

Developing application with HMG Test Release version is not recommended but I (or we) seldom follow this rules as long as the HMG basic syntax didn't change and the test release version can compile my app written in HMG 2.x versions.

Basically, I always install new versions of HMG (test and stable) to c:\hmg. If I needed new one I simply rename them for example c:\hmg3046 or c:\hmg3014 and to switch back I rename it again. I use Your Uninstaller to clean up the registry or any decent third party tools. And by placing a shortcut for the IDE on desktop, it blindly executes whatever version was there at c:\hmg. Also my own UDFs libs are also recompiled to each releases and has been placed on c:\hmg\lib.

I have an application that I always compile with new HMG releases to benchmark the new release and to test compatibility. Most of all I have saved myself of having to test later. At the end of the day I know my app runs with the new release. If I can't fix it time to post at HMG Forum. LOL! :D

Participating in testing is not mandatory but definitely helps HMG Library exposed in a wide variety of application and usage making it more robust and stable for years to come. On a side note some of my application are written in HMG Extended (MiniGUI) calling them from within the HMG App with parameters (EXECUTE FILE) so it won't load outside of the application and terminating it with a fake error and obscure message, e.g. "This application requires system loader."

Regards,

Danny
Regards,

Danny
Manila, Philippines
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thank you CalScot, Pablo and Danny.

The discussion is quite interesting.

As far as I am concerned, I still use HMG 3.0.46 for my older projects with SQLCipher/SQLite/MySQL. I use HMG 3.1.x for my recent projects with unicode. It doesn't mean that my older projects won't get compiled in HMG 3.1.x. While converting one of my old projects, the HMG-IDE bug had deleted all resource file content. I think the bug is removed just now. So, I will check with my other projects also. Otherwise, HMG 3.1.5 is working fine with the help of Dr. Claudio Soto.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
srvet_claudio

Post by srvet_claudio »

Hi All,
Please install this patch, re-build library and test demos.
Best regards,
Claudio.
Attachments
Demos_HMG.3.1.5_patch2.rar
Demos
(280.15 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
HMG.3.1.5_patch2.rar
Patch
(694.6 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

srvet_claudio wrote:Hi All,
Please install this patch, re-build library and test demos.
Best regards,
Claudio.
Excellent Dr. Claudio
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Thanks Doc :)

Viva HMG, viva Dr. Soto :D

Best regards
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Pablo César

HMG 3.1.5 (Test)

Post by Pablo César »

Fantastic !!! Double click, overwrite option on EditBox... I liked so much !

Thank you, Dr. Soto !! :D
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein