Populate existing PDF

Moderator: Rathinagiri

RussBaker

Populate existing PDF

Post by RussBaker »

I have a client's contract in PDF format. They have been manually filling this out by hand.

Is there a way to populate a PDF with data from HMG? I've done this with VB in the past. Is it possible with HMG?

I have fields defined in the PDF saved. Now I just need to load and fill them programmatically.

--Russ
andyglezl

Re: Populate existing PDF

Post by andyglezl »

Quizá no entendí la pregunta, con HMG puedes generar un PDF desde "cero"
Porqué leer uno ya hecho para cargarle datos ???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe I did not understand the question, with HMG you can generate a PDF from "zero"
Why read one already done to load data ???

See this post...
http://www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... hmg#p47052
Andrés González López
Desde Guadalajara, Jalisco. México.
EduardoLuis

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Russ:

In my experience the answer is NO.-
As Andy said with HMG you can create a PDF since zero, and i summ, with HMG you can create the most complex PDF you can imagine.-
You can choose between two procedures:
1) Create the form with any line, square, graphics, and of course your data;
2) Get a graphic of the form you want to be filled with data of your databases.-
In my case my clients ask for specific Official forms born as Adobe Acrobat.- In this case i must get a replica of the original form (that must not look like a fake one) that must have exactly it's messures and graphics.-
PDF can be created by different app, but allways final PDF form can be read/write by Adobe Reader.-
I get the solution, getting the graphic of the original form using Adobe Ilustrator.- Once i get de original image, i save it as *.PNG.-
Later, when PDF is created by my HMG app, i insert the image, and put each data on it's specific location with full atributes like multiples fonts, all direction allingments, overlay graphics.-
These means some hours of job and test, but at the end my clients get what they want.-
The benefit is really big, you don't need to save and store PDF form, just data.- Size of databases is less that final PDF size, and you can recreate any PDF anytime.-
As you include inside your app all graphics, your cliente only need your app and no extra files (graphics or PDF).-
This applyes to any develope, for example, accountants, reciepes, legal form, etc. etc.-
My suggestion look for HMPHPDF sample, and later go for what you want to create.-
HMG is fantastic, the only limit is your imagination.-
Hopping this helps you.
With regards. Eduardo
RussBaker

Post by RussBaker »

I don't want to design a new PDF. My client has a PDF file with their logo and 2 pages of small print in their contract.

I can print one, but that means I'd have to map all the fields, fonts and graphics. I can't bill them for the hours required to do that.

All I want to do is populate the fields in an existing PDF. I've done this with VB scripts. I've seen it done with Livecycle.

I was hoping there is a way to talk to a PDF and populate fields.
andyglezl

Post by andyglezl »

Hola Russ

Livecycle - Wikipedia...
LiveCycle Forms Standard ES4[edit]
LiveCycle Forms Standard allows users to create and deploy XML-based form templates as PDF, for use with the Adobe Reader. Forms can be saved for offline use in the free Adobe Reader when they are reader extended, a capability included in Forms Standard. LiveCycle Forms ES4 supports data driven forms by merging XML content to create personalized renditions.

Según lo entiendo, tu puedes generar un archivo XML y el PDF lo toma para llenar el formulario.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I understand it, you can generate an XML file and the PDF takes it to fill out the form.
I've done this with VB scripts
Puedes postear el código ?
Andrés González López
Desde Guadalajara, Jalisco. México.
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Russ, why don't send the VB script? Most VB-scripts can be converted to HMG !

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...