firebird + HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Hazael

Re: firebird + HMG

Post by Hazael »

Rathinagiri wrote:Friends, this is my opinion only. May be opinions of experts may differ.

1. In this cloud world, it doesn't matter if my database file is a single file or a group of files. It is the matter of the server which handles the same. It is up to the DataBase Administrator to take backup and other preventive and corrective measures against any eventuality.

2. MariaDB is a simple replacement of MySQL. In the case of HMG, libmysql.dll is enough to connect with MySQL/MariaDB data.

3. MySQL is widely used in most of the web servers. Deployment is simple and easy.

4. With regard to security, MySQL is also equally unsecured if the server is compromised. Otherwise it is ok.

5. It is platform independent. (can be installed in Windows/Linux etc)

6. Well documented.
I agree that for cloud develpment MariaDB / MySQL are the best options.
Firebird isn't the best choice for that although it may change with newer versions (in special 3.0+)
Harbour | GTWVT | MingW | Visual Studio Code
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Thanks for your opinions, good to know it.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
Hazael

Post by Hazael »

I really like Firebird but it is true that MariaDB is more flexible since you can use as remote database in the cloud, as local database, network, etc...

The only things that I like more in Firebird are: the one-file system and the serve-less option.
Harbour | GTWVT | MingW | Visual Studio Code