better preview interface with keyboard

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Anand
DBs Used: DBF

Post by Anand »

I use miniprint or hbprint to preview reports on screen. The preview window of both are more or less similar in functionality.

Now I want to have keyboard functionality in preview, like,
up/down to scroll the report. better if continue scroll to next page.
pgup/pgdn to scroll page and then change to next page
+/- to zoom page level
etc.

Needless to say a better preview interface with keyboard. Please guide me if such thing already exist.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Hi Anand,

There are some HotKeys already working.

Not all the same you have mentioned but most of it working and probably some could it be improved.

The actual Hotkeys working in preview, are as following:

Screen61.png
Screen61.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 3536 times

What would be missing, according to your suggestion:

Keys UP and DOWN to make line movement.

But this would only work in the ZOOM state. :roll:

Note: Mouse's positioning on ToolBar buttons, you will see ToolTips regarding keyboard equivalences. ;)
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
Anand

Re: better preview interface with keyboard

Post by Anand »

Thanks Pablo, I can see now the tooltips in miniprint preview. The hbprint preview supports +/- for zoom level, I found, but there is no tooltips.

Anyway, my problem is that I open the preview in level 3/4 in hbprint preview, which is readable to user. Now I want up/down keys to scroll the page. I can scroll via mouse scroll and want similar functionality via keys. At the end of the page I want preview to scroll the next page, as is possible in pdf viewer software.

You see when a reports has many lines suddenly looking at the top of the page without being able to see the last lines of the previous page creates problem for the user and requires many scroll back and forth.

If it is possible it will help me a lot.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Anand wrote:I open the preview in level 3/4 in hbprint preview
Would please tell me how do you do this. May you give me an example, please.
Anand wrote:Now I want up/down keys to scroll the page. I can scroll via mouse scroll and want similar functionality via keys.
I think this is possible. We would just by adding two or four HotKeys to _HMG_PRINTER_SHOWPREVIEW function and make hard move in Scrolls.
Anand wrote:At the end of the page I want preview to scroll the next page, as is possible in pdf viewer software.
But this I think it's completly different what we have now. Because as you can see, is creating many metafiles as the number of pages. This means that is processing page by page in our preview. To change this, we should make a considerable change...
Anand wrote:You see when a reports has many lines suddenly looking at the top of the page without being able to see the last lines of the previous page creates problem for the user and requires many scroll back and forth.
When you click on the page its returns to normal when was zoomed in prior. But you can click (with GLASS cursor) on down of page then it will be displayed down or at any part of other page according you mouse clicking.

For Zoom level, I imagine could be possible to make available more levels but not sure of that because _HMG_PRINTER_SHOWPREVIEW form size its not based in panel window...

For rename different key on the existing HotKey, making assignable according user definition: probably would be posible too.

All these my answer is personal, I do not talking in name of Developer Team ('cos I never been part of it) and I think all these indications, IMHO, some are valid but need to be approved to be implemented in HMG.

You could have posted in the "HMG Wishlist " section or ask now to Rathinagiri to move it.
Last edited by Pablo César on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
Anand

Re: better preview interface with keyboard

Post by Anand »

Actually I was wondering if such a preview already exist. Making one or changing the existing one is secondary now.

So I will request Rathinagiri Sir to move it to wishlist. While I will try to understand the source on the preview and see if I can make something happen.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Anand wrote:So I will request Rathinagiri Sir to move it to wishlist. While I will try to understand the source on the preview and see if I can make something happen.
Thank you for choosing to move the topic. In this way it will be present as your request for improvement.

Very good this opportunity to deeply understand you the _HMG_PRINTER_SHOWPREVIEW.

Please go ahead Anand and share with us your results.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein