Overwrite or not ?

Issues and Discussions related to Harbour

Moderator: Rathinagiri

DenCo

Overwrite or not ?

Post by DenCo »

As you might have noticed, the last few days I have asked questions about Harbour behavior in working with text files.

It is true that the way our Clipper/Harbour programs talk with other systems is with text files I/O .. (The ones that advertise on TV and support Golf tournaments)

With Harbour, I have noticed that a "copy all to myfile.txt SDF" will not overwrite if "myfile.txt" already exist.

The same program compiled in 52e Clipper will overwrite.

This time I have looked for the answer before posting.

I would rather my Harbour version of the program do the same, but it's another basic setting that I can't find the answer.

I hope some of my questions help others later.
Thanks,,, Bill
Pablo César

Re: Overwrite or not ?

Post by Pablo César »

DenCo wrote:With Harbour, I have noticed that a "copy all to myfile.txt SDF" will not overwrite if "myfile.txt" already exist.
Hi Bill, I have make a test using Harbour 3.2.0dev (Rev. 18443) which is in HMG package 3.0.46 and also in Harbour 3.2.0dev (Rev. 18706) of 3.1.1 and seems all normal. My test overwrite already existing file...
I would rather my Harbour version of the program do the same, but it's another basic setting that I can't find the answer.
Sorry, without source code, I can´t help more. Nothing wrong with Harbour at least compiling by IDE even been in console mode.
I hope some of my questions help others later.
Sure, Bill !
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Hi Bill
DenCo wrote:... a "copy all to myfile.txt SDF" will not overwrite if "myfile.txt" already exist....
Did you checked if "myfile.txt" open while issuing "copy to..." command ?

Regards
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
DenCo

Sorry ----- Re: Overwrite or not ?

Post by DenCo »

Hi all,, Sorry, I was in a hurry yesterday,,, it was the final load of 16 different software products converted to HB.

I had studied the compiler for some time before attempting this trip and job and I had good luck compiling except some of the basic txt file settings you all helped me with.

In this last post the problem was incorrect basic network rights assigned to one particular user...

After the other file settings I had adjusted earlier, I jumped to the conclusion to quickly that I had found something else.

I am sorry for not checking the obvious first, and I thank you for helping me and your testing.

Thank You
Bill
esgici

Post by esgici »

No problem Bill,

Here you are between friends :)

Salute to Tennessee from Turkiye :)

Happy HMG'ing :D
DenCo

Post by DenCo »

You both have always made me feel at home. This is the only place I have ever posted a computer question, and as you both know on this last project I got your help and today I watched all of these programs run perfectly.

I've watched them for 20 years !,, but today they were HB3 series programs running on Windows 7 64 bit enterprize edition computers....

They ran the way they did because of unbelievable work from the group working on Harbour, and both of your help.

Thank you,, and wait till I go full GUI on a few of them,,,, I'll have some more questions then... Ha

Bill
esgici

Post by esgici »

Hi Bill
DenCo wrote:...
I've watched them for 20 years !,, but today they were HB3 series programs running on Windows 7 64 bit enterprize edition computers....

They ran the way they did because of unbelievable work from the group working on Harbour, and both of your help.
Unbelievable is you :
DenCo wrote:16 different software products converted to HB.
Don't count me in, I'm a talkative old man; but you are right about our wizard amigo Pablo; he is "Mr. F1" of two forum ( the other is Clipper Online )

Regards