"SET NAVIGATION EXTENDED" in HMG.4

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rossine

Re: "SET NAVIGATION EXTENDED" in HMG.4

Post by Rossine »

Hello Luigi,

I think the best solution would be to treat the object for object, as for example the object comboxbox. If you are on it and press up arrow or down arrow to move the focus to the next object, but if the combobox is open (using F4) then he must navigate in the itens the combobox as arrow up and down and pressing F4 again , the combobox will be closed the list and then he should already back to work with the up and down arrows to change the object next focus.

Grid/Browse is an object I can also browse with the arrow keys to navigate up and down, then this object could not get out keyboard arrow up and down, but the key "TAB".

Excuse me but I use google translator ;)

Best Regards,

Rossine.
Rossine

Post by Rossine »

Hello Francesco,
Fifth: why do you want use a GUI program as a text-mode program ? Probably your users will be more confused using arrow keys/enter to move between GUI fields than the standard TAB key !

They will came after you asking that Word forms will act like your program.... on the contrary, I think that you must educate your users that IT IS A GUI PROGRAM ! And it must work as a GUI PROGRAM.

I won't accept nor justify the use of up/down keys in a gui program, except in a cell based grid...
I also agree with you as the platform GUI is so, but I think it would be a difference in our systems if we could make life easier for users of our systems.
But I understand we can make this feature optional. The code you published is not perfect but it is a starting point for Textboxes. It won't fit for every object !!!!

Anyway, here is an implementation done with subclassing.
exactly, this feature would be nice to have "optional" in hmg.4, but if this is not possible, I understand. It is only a suggestion ok ? ;)

Best regards,

Rossine.
mrduck

Post by mrduck »

Rossine wrote: I also agree with you as the platform GUI is so, but I think it would be a difference in our systems if we could make life easier for users of our systems.

Rossine, it can surely be my fault, I can't see how you make their lives easier creating a non-standard gui... I can imagine a very specialized data-entry form, when you have to type hundreds of digits and every tenth of second is a waste of time, but in a standard business-like application...
Ricci

Post by Ricci »

l3whmg wrote: Yes I know this can be possible! IMHO, the problem is: how can be possible to handle (or not) everywhere these keys?
And don´t forget that some objects still need the up/down keys for their functionality, i.e. Datepicker.
l3whmg

Post by l3whmg »

Hi.
Dear Rossine as you read here and if you remember my first answer about rows, you can understand that "use of arrows" to move from an object to another it's not very simple (it has more problems to be improved) and it's out of the current concept of the GUI.
When I was young :cry: and I was using MicroFocus Cobol or Basic (not VB), I have used up and down rows to move from a field to another....but we do not had a mouse :o and GUI was a personal opinion :lol:

Cheers
Luigi from Italy
www.L3W.it
Rossine

Post by Rossine »

Hi all,

OK, I understand you ;)

Many thank´s,

Rossine.