About HMG.4 Samples...

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: About HMG.4 Samples...

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Continued from previous post...

- IMHO HMG.4 can enter in beta stage without support for more than four parameters for GetProperty() (five for SetProperty()).
Eventually support for compatibility with more parameters can be contributed in later versions. So, in the first version of HMG.4 there is no need of support for this.

-
In hmg3 you can access BTN directly from the form with:
F.BTN.setFocus
IMHO this way if coding must be declared deprecated.

-
In hmg4 you must access BTN with:
F:TAB:TP:BTN:setFocus()
IMHO this must be the 'official way'.

-
IF (ipotesis) OOP is official, semioop supported and xbase syntax deprecated we may start to shuffle hmg[3].ch contents to separate the 3 programming styles...
- IMHO new Semi-OOP as described in my previous post, should be official (along OOP). This was the main project goal: to have true OOP and a new (refined) Semi-OOP, to let to the users that had selected HMG because its Semi-OOP simplicity, keep using their favorite tool, as always do (I'm one of them:) ).

-
release window Test
is semioop or xBase ? I think it is both....
IMHO, the definition of the new Semi-OOP is that I've given in the previous post. All other things are xBase for me.

I guess that all we (even Semi-OOP coders) will be good with Test:Release()
Test.setFocus
is semioop or xBase ? It is semioop while SETFOCUS n TO w is xbase (not implemented in hmg4)
Clearly: Semi-OOP.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Continued from previous and previous, previous post...

mrduck wrote:
IF (ipotesis) OOP is official, semioop supported and xbase syntax deprecated

Not deprecated, let's say "best effort"...

"best effort" means that there is no guarantee that a hmg3 program written in xbase style will compile errorlessy in hmg4...

as an example

Code:
SETFOCUS n TO w

is not present yet in hmg4 and if someone uses it in his code he can:
- depend on others asking the forum to implement
- doing himself, changing his source code to oop style (w:setfocus() - I don't know what "n" is for) or creating the define and posting it on the forum
I fully agree, and it simply means <Window>:<Control>:SetFocus()
I will commit in next days code for setting QRegExpValidators to a TEXTBOX. It is a feature specific to Qt that is not easily backportable to hmg3... should I add semioop syntax ? and expand textbox xbase syntax ?
All HMG.4 features. must be supported for new Semi-OOP, since, as I've said, it must be (IMHO) an integral part of HMG.4 (along OOP).

Regarding xBase support, IMHO, should be not a priority. But it should be allowed that contributors interested on that, add it.

I guess that is all, but if I've missed something, please, let me know...
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
mrduck

Post by mrduck »

Roberto Lopez wrote:Continued from previous post...
Roberto,

I'm very happy after having read these 2 messages.

I need to have a sleep now, I will reply tomorrow. But I can say we are on the right track ;-)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

mrduck wrote:
Roberto Lopez wrote:Continued from previous post...
Roberto,

I'm very happy after having read these 2 messages.

I need to have a sleep now, I will reply tomorrow. But I can say we are on the right track ;-)
You need to go to bed... Here is almost 10pm and I guess that is five hours later there... so, it's Monday already... you definitively must go :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

:) Great going.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

[EDITED] Re: About HMG.4 Samples...

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote::) Great going.
My position about these things in not new...

My 'old' post about name change (largely misunderstood) was about exactly this...

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm sure it was misunderstood, because I've not expressed my ideas in a good way...

In fact, the important thing of that post was not the name thing, but, the need of 'liberate' HMG.4 from an attempt of full backwards compatibility that could stop it for years...

So, if HMG.4 makes official and clearly documented, its new refined Semi-OOP, will be easy to developers to change their code to make it work in HMG.4 and most important, make clear that HMG.4 is still being Semi-OOP (like HMG always was) but in a new/better way.

I'm sure that many of them, will contribute code that will make easy the transition...

In this path... is extremely important, that we will clear about that new Semi-OOP is official and that it will be kept/maintained/improved as an integral part of HMG.4. IMHO, if we do not do that, most of HMG users (including other HMG-based libraries) will not be interested on HMG.4.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

And...

If you review HMG versions of last years, you'll see that I've created new ways to avoid 'ugly' things in HMG coming from experimental days of MiniGUI library (almost exactly 10 years ago).

The more clear example about this is in TAB, SPLITBOX and TOOLBAR code at /hmg/samples/containers (they are there from many years ago).

So, a better way of handle container controls is there from many years ago.

So, I'm good with encouraging a better coding in HMG.4...
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)