HMG.4 Project Status

Moderator: Rathinagiri

l3whmg

Re: HMG.4 Project Status

Post by l3whmg »

Hi
I'm in agreement with Roberto: "Alternate syntax". As I write to you, Ricci, HMG4 is based upon HMG3. Within its include files, you can find this commands as alternate syntax.

I wrote to you: it is preferable to use this (alternate) syntax rather than this (@ 10,10 SAY.... oneliner commands) precisely for the reasons that both you describe. Wanting to maintain compatibility with programs written using HMG3, HMG4 developpers must necessarily take care of this syntax.

IMHO, I think is better for everyone (HMG3 or HMG4 users) to use the "alternate syntax".

Cheers
Luigi from Italy
www.L3W.it
mrduck

Post by mrduck »

@escigi,
I didn't want to be unfriendly but since my message about using c++ there have been some misunderstanding that need to be cleared.

If it will be added (it may be that we will discover it has no use and so we can avoid it) it will be completely transparent to "application programmers".

I asked you about OOP because I think that OOP changed my way of thinking and the rare times I need to change my "procedural style" software I refactor the code adding OOP where I see it fits...

I know it is a possibility and I said that everybody can use the tools and style they prefer :-)

Francesco
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Ricci wrote:
Roberto Lopez wrote:So, why some programmers around Harbour created such hard to use tools?
Looks like the discussion goes in the wrong direction. About HMG4 please don´t think "either or" but "both".
HMG4 allow the developers to use the easy way of writing programs like in HMG3 and use OOP and c++ if he like to or need it.
I agree. That was my goal when started it.

Please note that the comment you've quoted not refers to HMG.4, but, other Harbour GUI libraries.
Ricci wrote: Please don´t forget that since Clipper the times has changed. Clipper knows nothing about GUI, multitasking, internet, multimedia, touchscreens, smartphones, tablets ...
I agree here too.

I only say that simplicity for the library users, can be kept on this new environment.
Ricci wrote: HMG3 was a major step to get from DOS-Clipper to Windows without getting crazy (by using CA Visual Objects or Alaska XBase++). :)
HMG4 will be the extension to get platform independent and to open the language for your own ideas and wishes.
I agree again.

My choice of OOP for it, was made exactly with such goal. Making it easier to extend than HMG traditionally was (and as you've noted) cause of forks.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
mrduck

Post by mrduck »

Roberto Lopez wrote: I like ideas discussion.

It is fun and makes things better.
Me too ! This is the reason I write on these subjects :-)

I think that OOP approach is really good and it pays in speed and extendability !
there were some speed tests published a couple months ago, and hmg4 was 10 times quicker !

before coming here I looked at marinasgui code and I ran away ! I decided to write my own library but then I discovered hmg4 !

and started to write strange messages in this forum about mantaining compatibility :-)

Ciao
Francesco
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

mrduck wrote: and started to write strange messages in this forum about mantaining compatibility :-)
:)

Ok, but only to clarify my POV and end this, is not all about compatibility, It's also about the layer that makes semi-oop programming possible.

It is in place and working for HMG.4 from the beginning.

This will make that lots of users that prefer such way, consider HMG.4 as a viable alternative.

That's all :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)