SAY AND GET

HMG en Español

Moderator: Rathinagiri

esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: SAY AND GET

Post by esgici »

asharpham wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:05 am ... I wasn't expecting to only find it in the Clipper references I guess.
Hi Alan

Please don't worry; this is a common situation especially for beginners :arrow:

And beware to confusing relations and differences between Clipper, Harbour and HMG

Happy HMG'ing :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
asharpham

Post by asharpham »

I've had a look at both the links above but I'm now revealing my limited knowledge of Clipper as well as HMG/Harbour. What is the difference between REQUEST & #Include?
PeteWG

Post by PeteWG »

asharpham wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:23 amWhat is the difference between REQUEST & #Include?
a 'REQUEST' is a statement directed to the linker that demands to link the requested modules
while an '#include' is a directive to the compiler (in fact to the pre-processor) that instructs him
to incorporate a source file exactly in place where the 'include' line is shown
and to use its contents either to resolve undefined symbols encountered during compilation process
or to compile it as is, like any other source code.

an other significant distinction between them two, is that the 'REQUESTed' modules are binary entities
(i.e. already compiled) consisting of core functions (or even UDFs) found in libraries,
while the 'included' modules are source-code files (plain text, usually) containing other directives
(defines etc) and/or pure source code lines.

regards,
Pete
ROBROS

Post by ROBROS »

PeteWG wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm
asharpham wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:23 amWhat is the difference between REQUEST & #Include?
a 'REQUEST' is a statement directed to the linker that demands to link the requested modules
while an '#include' is a directive to the compiler (in fact to the pre-processor) that instructs him
to incorporate a source file exactly in place where the 'include' line is shown
and to use its contents either to resolve undefined symbols encountered during compilation process
or to compile it as is, like any other source code.

an other significant distinction between them two, is that the 'REQUESTed' modules are binary entities
(i.e. already compiled) consisting of core functions (or even UDFs) found in libraries,
while the 'included' modules are source-code files (plain text, usually) containing other directives
(defines etc) and/or pure source code lines.

regards,
Pete
Well explained, Thx.
Robert