Why MS has made developers horrified about coding for Win 8

HMG en Español

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: Why MS has made developers horrified about coding for Wi

Post by Roberto Lopez »

apais wrote:Anyway I seriously doubt Windows will give their desktop market to Linux.
Not Linux!

But, IOS, Blackberry and Android (Linux kernel based) are serious candidates.

The Linux opportunity was the Vista failure, but no distribution was able to catch the moment.

IMHO, sadly, no Linux distribution was (is) mature enough to be a Windows replacement and the new users behavior regarding computers (only Internet applications matters) caused the success of the operating systems already mentioned.
apais wrote: And,...

There will be allways a bunch of people ( mostly developpers, designers ... ) who wont like their data be hosted on a foreign location for obvious security reasons.
Even when you host your data in your own (internal) server, Internet technology can be used anyway (in fact this is very usual).
apais wrote: On the other side: javascript is an interpreter module in borwsers, and harbour is a pcode machine. Who says in the future we can't use harbour as client side scripting languaje ? Only our own lack of imagination as developpers...
It could be possible in a medium/large term future.

I think that an approach closer to the Harbour compiler developers thinking, could be the creation of a Harbour to PHP translator.

The hardest part of this, will be the re-creation of all Harbour functions in PHP.

Of course, there is a serious thing to solve: The interaction with the user.

PHP could send HTML+JavaScript code to the client to emulate our beloved @...SAY...GET experience. The true problem are the wait states (READs). They will require a big trick, but it could be done.

Just some thinking...
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

I think you have already started and introduced HMGScripts. Isn't it Roberto?
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote:I think you have already started and introduced HMGScripts. Isn't it Roberto?
Yes, but I'm referring to some easier than that, and more 'traditional' approach.

The idea of HMGSCRIPT is (excepting database access via PHP scripts) to run the program completely on the client. This could be considered too radical to some Harbour developers.

A more traditional and easier to achieve approach is to rely on PHP only. Since PHP is more powerful than JavScript and the application will be running entirely on the server, excepting, of course, the user interface code (html+javascript) containing the user interface, sent to the clients by PHP.

My mind and my heart is with HMGSCIPT idea. My alternative description, was just another idea that could be more attractive to some developers.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks a lot for enlightening Roberto. I am sure it will be beneficial to all and it will be really wonderful when our apps are web enabled.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote:Thanks a lot for enlightening Roberto. I am sure it will be beneficial to all and it will be really wonderful when our apps are web enabled.
As I've said (a lot of times) every days there are more and more people with a tablet or a smartphone running other operating systems than Windows.

And is more and more frequent that such people, ask for using its desktop applications from such devices.

I really don't want to have to abandon Harbour, to satisfy such demand.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

I don't know anything about Javascript, AJax, HTML5 whatever it may be. Will I be outdated in a few years? This is my fear. :(

Is there already an easy way to understand and use these?

Another question is are these tools helpful for business applications? I am sure it should be.
l3whmg

Post by l3whmg »

Hi to all.
HTML..., JavaScript.
all very interesting, but until there will be no obligation to comply with the rules established by the W3C (I refer to the creators of web browsers) everyone of this browser can create problems for the user. What about the various hacks to see my web on: IE, FF, Netscape, Opera, Safari, etc...
Try to imagine an accounts administrator unable to enter the accounting records because his browser does not understand a tag.
The problem is not php.

Cheers
Luigi from Italy
www.L3W.it
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks a lot for the interesting link Esgici.
swapan

Post by swapan »

After many months I'm visiting our this forum, and found this interesting topic.

Yes, the way things are going we will need most of the applications web-based. The internet connection is becoming necessary like the "power" to run computers/laptops. In coming days internet will be like the 'power/electricity' without which it will be difficult to live on.

Its my great desire to have HMG or HARBOUR/xHarbour acquire the capability to make web-based applications - so that I too can write at least small web-based programs to satisfy my programming know-how - before I become completely "obsolete" in terms of modern programming.

If I remember correctly Roberto sir has raised this issue of "necessity of developing web-based applications" long time back.

When can we expect a web-based development thru our these platforms a reality? What about xHarbour/Harbour's current status on this??

Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das
blog recently created by me:
http://placentrex.blogspot.com/
Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das

http://www.swapandas.com/