NTVDM ERROR BY A CLIPPER EXE IN MS-XP

HMG en Español

Moderator: Rathinagiri

swapan

NTVDM ERROR BY A CLIPPER EXE IN MS-XP

Post by swapan »

This is not related to HMG, but as most of us have the background of Clipper and a few may
be still using it - I thought to post it here for help.

One of our clipper program (the exe:MIS.EXE) is giving an OCCASIONAL - yes not all the time the following error:
==================================================
NTVDM.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
MIS.EXE
NTVDM.EXE has encountered a System Error.
Attempt to access invalid address.
Chooise 'Close' to terminate the application.
==================================================

First the screen becomes totally "black-out" for quite some time and then returns to Windows Desktop with the NTVDM ERROR.

Please note another Clipper application is also giving same error occassionally, so can't be clipper compilation/linking related issue.

Otherwise both the applications running fine in the same conditions unless this occassional NTVDM comes up...

Attached screen shot for understanding this issue..
Attachments
NTVDM Error - Clipper Application in XP
NTVDM Error - Clipper Application in XP
NTVDM Error.JPG (58.7 KiB) Viewed 11024 times
Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das

http://www.swapandas.com/
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: NTVDM ERROR BY A CLIPPER EXE IN MS-XP

Post by esgici »

Hi Swapan

Did you tried making some adjustment on <your_.exe>\properties\compatibility (and/or memory> ?

I'm not sure, NTVDM may be "NT Virtual Directory Manager". If so, if your hard-disk is NTFS formatted and if your program is Clipper-compiled, the problem may be on this point. In this case, compiling your application with Harbour for console mode may be help.

Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
swapan

Post by swapan »

esgici wrote:Hi Swapan

Did you tried making some adjustment on <your_.exe>\properties\compatibility (and/or memory> ?

I'm not sure, NTVDM may be "NT Virtual Directory Manager". If so, if your hard-disk is NTFS formatted and if your program is Clipper-compiled, the problem may be on this point. In this case, compiling your application with Harbour for console mode may be help.

Regards

--

Esgici
Thanks Esgici for the response.
Actually these two program(s) are not right under my supervision and due to certain issues the Harbour couldn't be used atleast for now. Actually they were running smoothly....recently it has happened. This error comes occasionally and its been used by a particular user only, in our programmers' computers both clipper exe(s) are running smoothly but as you can understand the exe(s) are not run in our computers.

No, I've not yet checked with "Compatibility mode" of windows.....its in my mind but not yet checked. I'm thinking of suggesting for recompile of the exe(s), on my computer....its been last compiled on other programmer's computer.

I thought if some1 in our this community have come accross with this error in real-life situation may have provided the solution with respect to Clipper and XP.
Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das

jayadevu

Post by jayadevu »

Dear Swapan,

If you compile your clipper program using Exospace in protected mode, then the generated EXE does not have the reported problem. Please also run the following command after the linking with Exospace:

optedit -NOBANNER -EXTRAMIN 4096 %1.exe (%1 to be replaced with the exe name)

This effectively increases the memory available to the program.

Alternatively as suggested earlier you can compile the program using Harbour / xHarbour and the problem is rectified.

HTH,

Warm regards,

Jayadev
swapan

Post by swapan »

jayadevu wrote:Dear Swapan,

If you compile your clipper program using Exospace in protected mode, then the generated EXE does not have the reported problem. Please also run the following command after the linking with Exospace:

optedit -NOBANNER -EXTRAMIN 4096 %1.exe (%1 to be replaced with the exe name)

This effectively increases the memory available to the program.

Alternatively as suggested earlier you can compile the program using Harbour / xHarbour and the problem is rectified.

HTH,

Warm regards,

Jayadev
Thanks a lot Jayadev for your feedback. Actually the said exe(s) are under Clipper 5.01 with Rtlink as the linker (no addnl. 3rd party used).

BTW, your this command reminded of doing the same under Clipper 5.3, I had to do that for certain indexing related issue - if I remember correctly.

Actually the programs are not under my supervision......so unable to go for the alternatives suggested by you.

For the time being I've used the Compatibility property of Windows for these windows, though doubt it will solve the issue. Next will compile them in my computer.

Still, if you Jayadev or any1 come up with anything do let me know.............
Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das