I want to be a HMG Poster

New members who wish to post and participate in HMG Forum, please introduce yourselves in this forum by starting a new thread.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

BeGeS
DBs Used: DBF

Re: I want to be a HMG Poster

Post by BeGeS »

Hello Dominique! ;)

Welcome to the Academy.

:?: ... :arrow: ... :idea:
:( ... :arrow: ... 8-)
I get by with a little help from my friends
edufloriv
DBs Used: DBF, MariaDB, MySQL, MSSQL, MariaDB

Post by edufloriv »

Hi Dominique,

Welcome from Perú.

It is good to know that there is someone who started with Basic, like me !. We did make our own index files! that was crazy. Then QBasic and later Clipper 5.2

Here in HMG you will find the valious support of the HMG's experts, they help us a lot, I am using HMG about 10 years and really it is very efficent.

Best regards,

Eduardo Flores Rivas

LIMA - PERU
mol

Post by mol »

I've started my adventures with ZX Spectrum and Basic, too :-)
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

In 1984 I wrote a book on the ZX Spectrum:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index. ... d=2000638

Seems like ages ago....

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
dominique_devuyst

Post by dominique_devuyst »

Thanks Eduardo,
Our own index files .. my god, yes, we did that indeed!
On a Apple II... with 2 floppies.
edufloriv wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm Hi Dominique,

Welcome from Perú.

It is good to know that there is someone who started with Basic, like me !. We did make our own index files! that was crazy. Then QBasic and later Clipper 5.2

Here in HMG you will find the valious support of the HMG's experts, they help us a lot, I am using HMG about 10 years and really it is very efficent.

Best regards,
franco

Post by franco »

Hi all, In early 80`s I could not afford or get a pos system. had to create files and indexs COMMODORE 64.
Franco,
All The Best,
Franco
Canada
ROBROS

Post by ROBROS »

Hi Dominique,

welcome from Rosenheim, Bavaria. My first owned computer was the TI 99/4a. The cpu was the TMS 9900, the first 16 bit chip at a time when even 8088-PC's had an 8 bit chip. Pitifully, the 16 bit were only utilised inside the cpu, data exchange with memory and graphics etc. was done by only 8 bit.

Of course BASIC (TI EXTENDED BASIC) was my first experience with programming, later a c99-compiler (by Clint Pulley from the States) was my choice. My son and I had made a lap counter for CARRERA racing with joystick-micro-switches. But BASIC was too slow, when the cars reached the switch at the same (or almost same) time, BASIC counted only the lap of one car. c99 was the solution (an executable runtime file was the result of the compiler).
Then came TI-BASE (yet relational, but without index files). It came with an "interpreted" programming language very similar to dBase. So I learned to understand how databases work and on my PC at work I programmed some useful programs with dBase. The biggest project was a program to administer devices we give to our customers on a rental base.
And then 16 bit programs were abandoned by Microsoft. I could use XBase++ but only text oriented. Being used to @say,get, the GUI remained a mystery to me.
Last year I installed HMG 3.4.4 on my Computer. But if I hadn't joined HMG-Forum I would sure have given up.
This forum has helped me always and thanks to the help of the forum (I'd like to mention the help from your country fellow man Serge specially) I am able to program in HMG.

I hope these lines are not too boring.

I like HMG and as mentioned before the possibilities are only limited by our imagination.
Robert
serge_girard
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

The best I can do is to convince new-comers that HMG is great...

Serge
Red2
DBs Used: Visual FoxPro, FoxPro

Post by Red2 »

Hello,

I am very new to HMG and am impressed with its ease of development, its abilities, and all this for free!

I see that I have much to learn here. My earlier XBase experience was mostly in Visual FoxPro so I have to remember to always surround the likes of ".AND." and ".OR." with syntax-mandatory periods. Oh well!

I now reside on the East Coast of the United States although I did live a few years in Germany a few decades ago.

My HMG project has generally going well. I am having some trouble understanding certain specifics of HMG/Harbour/Clipper report creation so will likely post a "report" question soon.

Best wishes to all!

Red2
serge_girard
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Hi Red2,

Welcome from Belgium!

Serge