Hello. Again!

New members who wish to post and participate in HMG Forum, please introduce yourselves in this forum by starting a new thread.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Zimbo

Hello. Again!

Post by Zimbo »

Hello all,

I'm back after an enforced 3 year break. Basically, my job got in the way but I now have quite a lot more time on my hands having been made redundant! ;-) Finally found my password to this site, so thought I should logon and say hello!

When I originally started posting, I had started creating some form of guide to help those new to programming with Harbour/HMG get started. Doing that was also intended to help me get up to speed again and I managed to get quite a bit done (but not posted) when I reluctantly took a break to concentrate on my job as the hours and travel begun to increase.

I am now working on a program that will help me personally (it will be used to track the performance of my share portfolio which I currently do with Excel BUT I want more functionality, so it seems a good place to start).

I have also drafted 8 "chapters" of a guide (I still need to proof read / edit it) which goes back to my original intention of writing something to help others get going with Harbour / HMG but I have now done this to also, perhaps, help those completely new to programming! I know, very ambitious! My approach is to base it around a "project" which would be built in gradual steps, each of which would introduce new concepts / features / functions, commends etc but also include sections that are more focused on "technical details". So, chapter 9 will cover data types (character, logical, numeric etc), Chapter 10 will cover variables and so on.

Just wondered if anyone thinks this - a beginners guide to HMG - would be of any great value? I will still carry on doing it as I develop my personal project as that really helps me get back up to speed but the question I have is if there is anything to be gained by taking this a step further any actually posting it for others to use.

Any comments and suggestions would be very welcome!

Zimbo
EduardoLuis

Re: Hello. Again!

Post by EduardoLuis »

Wellcome (Again) Zimbo:

As you've been away last 3 years, my first suggestion is update HMG.-
Many important changes have been made, so download last's versions.-
About your work on a Guide, check changelog on last version, to upgrade it.-
Wellcome Again.
Eduardo
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Zimbo, Welcome (back again) from Belgium !
Good idea of a a beginners guide to HMG.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
danielmaximiliano

Post by danielmaximiliano »

Bienvenido de nuevo Zimbo !!

Saludos desde Buenos Aire Argentina
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´. (¸.·` *
.·`. Harbour/HMG : It's magic !
(¸.·``··*

Saludos / Regards
DaNiElMaXiMiLiAnO

Whatsapp. := +54901169026142
Telegram Name := DaNiElMaXiMiLiAnO
luisvasquezcl

Post by luisvasquezcl »

Welcome Zimbo.
Best regards from Chile,
Luis Vasquez
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

I welcome the idea, and I was of the opinion that something should be done, so I started the topic

http://hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4167

As this is a continuation of Clipper programming I thought it was best to start with so Clipper on HMG

Waiting for your instructions, we should do it
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

HI all from sunny Scotland!

Thanks for the comments above. Good comment about the version! The guide is based on version 3.4.0 but I will upgrade and re-test all the code to the latest version at a later date rather than do so every time there is an update.

I have a web site which I have started loading SOME content on (so far, only Table of Contents and Section 1, Chapter 1). I will look to update it a little more before my wife and I go on holiday in 10 days (we're away for 2 weeks and I am not allowed to do any work) ;-)

Before I provide a link... the web site is VERY, VERY basic! I am also teaching myself HTML and CSS and have a LOT to do to improve the appearance and usability of the site, so please be "forgiving" when viewing it. ALSO, the contents thus far are a work in progress. I am still proof reading and editing before adding further details.

http://www.flamelily.net

Stuart
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Zimbo wrote:Hello all,

I'm back after an enforced 3 year break. ...
Hello Stuart

Welcome back and wish easiness to your "guide" work :)

Happy HMG'ing :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D