Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: A Book on HMG

Post by esgici »

Hello Maestro, good morning :)
Roberto Lopez wrote: ...
In my mind, HMG still being an humble project. ...
Sorry, but I don't agree with you this time.

This is only you, being humble, not your work, HMG :)

Best Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
swapan

Post by swapan »

EXCELLENT IDEA!

Its not that I never felt the need of a book on HMG - but never "dared" to "think" that it can come as a "thought process" in the minds of my fellow HMG members of this forum. Wow! just great.

This can become a precious book. Yes, a hard copy is a hard copy. We all are here to help Rathi & Sudip.

There's lot of steps involved in publishing a book - but the 1st step & the most impt. step has been decided by Rathi & Sudip. So all other hinderance can be taken care of.

I can help in proof-reading! Will be highly obliged if can do anything for this "project".

Lets do it!

Will come up with more in my next post, until then Best of Luck for this "exciting project".

Regards,

Swapan
Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das

http://www.swapandas.com/
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

I thank all of you for encouraging us. :)
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Hello friends,

Sorry my delay (again). Currently i owrk on a company that not allow internet access.
So I read the forum during my lunch and evening only. :(

Rathi, it is a great project.

I wish you luck, blessing and provision for complete this wonderful work.
I try translate de documentation of HMG for Brazilian Portuguese. I hope complete it soon.

When you finish you work, if you agree, i´ll translate it for brazilian portuguese.

Thanks friends, Sudip, Rathi, Master, Esgici, and all other (there are so many that I can not remember the name).I think that will be another step in our great HMG.

I love the wonderful HMG family.

My best wishes for all us.

PS: if you need of my humble contribution, i´m here.
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
Alex Gustow

Post by Alex Gustow »

Hi Rathi, Sudip and others!
It's cool idea to write cool book about HMG!
I think it will be helpful (like Rick Spence's manual - I love and use it too!) for people who want to work with HMG.
I try to write something like (on Russian); I have a little expirience in "teaching" (I am a "teacher" for my 15 y.o. daughter Masha - she learns programmer's work with HMG) - so maybe I can do something for this work?
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Alex,
Thanks a lot for your encouragement.
I am very happy to know that Masha is learning HMG! :D
I had a very wrong idea that younger generation doesn't use xBase (with some exception also). I am very happy to be wrong :D
Thank you again.
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
dhaine_adp

Post by dhaine_adp »

Rathi, Sudip & Everyone,

Congratulations in conceiving the book project for HMG. Your enthusiasm to push this project into a higher ground made me feels excited too and very much willing to participate too.

Since writing a book requires a lot of organized thinking and effort too. What if in the forum, a dedicated sticky topic for this can be created, or let say a place that we can discuss an outline and chapter outline of the proposed book. I think that would help to shorten the length of time in producing the firt draft of the manuscript.

I guessed since HMG and Harbour is constantly evolving, so before we reach the final draft of the book itself perhaps it maybe outdated. On it's electronic form, perhaps we can keep it at pace with the progress.

On the otherhand, I believed the best place to start this book is to where the Clipper drop off. From there we can effectively bridge the gap and lead the readers (those who are not members of this forum or Harbour forum, etc.) towards the transition process. So this can be a good subject for Introduction. An epilogue, to honor Mr. Roberto Lopez for his work as well as the Harbour Team.

Perhaps the first part of the book could cover the very Basic of Harbour itself including the compiler and linking process and description of Harbour as it is built by Harbour-project.org

The Second part is for HMG as built by the HMG Founder himself. Also perhaps as an introduction to MingW32 since this is the linker that we used to build HMG Apps.

Maybe the third part can be dedicated for Harbour API Calls.

Perhaps the last part will be the introduction to the variety of HMG Library that originates from the original HMG.

For quite sometime, I pondered with this thought, How an effective book can be written for HMG? Then I asked myself, what book do I want, then I realized I wanted a book that simply you can fall in love with... :) Which mean any reader who come across with the book with or without knowledge would learn, those who knew would become and advanced user and those who have an advanced knowledge would become a master by reading the same book.

Contrary to what I have said above is that in which intended audience (level of knowledge of the programmer/reader/user) would the book be written for?

Anyway, I'm posting this message to express my support to your endeavor. All that I can say is whatever your lead will be is that I will follow...

Regards,

Danny
Regards,

Danny
Manila, Philippines
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks a lot Danny.

You had described in detail whatever ideas we have in our mind. :)

I am in the process of creating a detailed Synopsis. We shall discuss about this in the forum. After finalizing the same, we can write to expand the points with examples.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
mol

Post by mol »

I have an idea: to write book on the forum and everyone can translate it into native language.
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

mol wrote:I have an idea: to write book on the forum and everyone can translate it into native language.
Great idea Mol.

My best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/