Button

Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Pablo César

Button

Post by Pablo César »

Thank you Serge for your considerations. But I'm really very interested to be free of this:

I do not know if we have to await for WindRes fixing (I don'´t know if this will occurs some day) or we can adapt it in separated folder.

Both cases I feel so hard to be accepted. :roll:

I'm not found the way to skip the error when the folder contains spaces in its name.

HMGPATH cannot have spaces in it... :(

Unfortunately we are tied to WindRes with this restriction. :cry:
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Re: Button

Post by serge_girard »

Pablo, For me personally it is no problem, I can live with it.
The WINRES error also gets up when using a non-existend res filename.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

Serge is well ask whether there are standard icons, buttons, etc.

Not the image itself the target, it is more and this is called the user interface Every major / serious system for application development has its own preset menus / buttons and distinctive appearance of specific functionality

Many do not like to follow the standards but I think that's a good thing if the application appears an icon, then the user will learn that it always has the same function

IDE does not use it, why? because they are moving from a blank screen. It would be good if a different individual template and wizard that is to set a standard and something to move on, so all work. is that hard? we are dealing with data and tables and it is normal to have a default button to enter, modify, delete, search

Below has some examples of user interface, something we like, something

I use oracle forms but to know if someone is using Delphi or something else for the development of applications puts a better / nicer screens, and I would like to seeing him about another that looks good and a nice user interface

Regards to all
oracle forms
oracle forms
oracle.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
delphi
delphi
delphi.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
windows ce
windows ce
handheld.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
somtehing nice
somtehing nice
other.png (260.78 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

I agree Dragan!
A refreshed IDE would be great.
Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
EduardoLuis

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Dragan and friends:

I agree with Pablo, that include on HMG lots of graphics or images, it's an unnecesary effort, and perhaps what if right for someone is worst for other.-
IMHO when you developpe an appe, everything is important, not only basic procedures also the screens and the way any control is showed to end user is relevant.- There are a lot of samples we can see again and again.- Serious developpers keep investing hours and hours on reaching a way to make end user familiarized with all controls and functions.-
I learn how to program long time ago, and my first task was how can i make end user feel confortable with the screens and procedures.- Many - at least 80% end users - use MS Office, and if you pay attemption, each app have's controls and screens really similar.- End Users are familiarized with them and when they want to print a sheet or a doc, they go the same place and find the same control (Word or Excel).- I apply this criteria to my app, and simulate controls the same way they are on MS Office.- This way end users go intuitively to the same place and found the same function.- This way end users don't waste time looking for an special control or procedure.-
This means i must develope particulary screens that match (place and functions) with MS office.- I invest lot of hours developing graphics, till i compose a big library where - for future developpes - i could find what i need.-
The challeng was developing MSG without using SO ones.- Was a hard job, but i've done it; no mather if end users works with XP Win 7 / 8 / 10, the final app will look the same withour being disturbed by OS skins.-
I don't work with Oracle, but for some years i do with Delphi.- Hmg gives me more flexibility and power to do what i have in mind and want, with total independence of the developement system proforms.- This is the reason why i choose HMG.-
Particullary i don't use IDE in deep, i prefer writing sentences.- Many times a procudere is common to different app, so when i develope (f. example encription producedures) i put it on a custom library and simply copy to new project.-
Finally, develope an app is similar to tailoring custom business suits.-
This is just an opinion, i don't have the true, but hope i'm in the right way.-
With regards as allways.
Eduardo
Pablo César

Button

Post by Pablo César »

This is just an opinion, i don't have the true, but hope i'm in the right way.
It's OK Eduardo, it's your opinion and we have to respect it and important to know it.
Certainly you are in the right way when all your decisions becomes a success with you and your customers.
Otherwise, we lost them...

Things can go on as they are, as it has been for many years ...

But if we want something more professional, that requires changes.
Changes in our habits mainly and then changes on #1 (read proposed reference at end of this message) as well. That's so !!! (really not much regarding this matter)

I use the IDE a lot and would love to choose my images from it (it could open a GetFile) to choose my icons and images that I can be incorporated into the ressources of my project. As Dragan way is indicating but to do it in personal way and probably many of us wish to have our own place for that.

For those who work without IDE, It would also be the same, I repeat: the same solution as well. #1

And for those who want to continue working as they always have, you can also use the solution will also be the same. #1 i.e. to have in each project one resource folder. You Making copies and copies and looking out for your images where are them. In my opinion: losing time and occupying redundant space unnecessarily in an unwise way and non smart way.

But for all this to be possible, we would have to support the idea to promote this #1. Perhaps many do not understand the importance of this but for me: this is a very relevant matter and important for our productive work.

What Dragan says is right but it's easy for a workbench as it is SQL (for example) because the buttons are known to be for data maintenance use. But for HMG to predict this, it becomes impossible as it has buttons for certain many kind of functions and still have to worry about respecting the copyright of images that are sometimes restricted. For these reasons, we should have our own icons, our own images. It's not HMG responsability (as Eduardo said in other words). What HMG could do is to make more accessible of our selected images.

I am sure that what I am proposing it maintains the backward compatibility, it would give more options when choosing the images in a concentrated way as the user wishes and we would disassociate from the prison of WINDRES in the strict folders names: for HMG path and for any user project. We would be free to use it with spaces or not in any way we want.

Windows is an operating system that allows long names, so you can create names of folders with spaces and even special characters (as we have already seen in Chinese). And if the operating system allows, Harbour I am pretty sure allows (with absolute certainty I say this) and as we use Windows, so I do not see why not to use...

What is missing here is unity to promote improvements for all. I think. :?

Proposed reference: In the main Build.bat of HMG and IDE
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

I am pleased that the topic of continuing serious stories,
Clipper I started using in 1990, simple and fast language / compiler
but then I saw better, oracle and I use it to this day, but I also remain

It is difficult to compare the Clipper and oracle but I tried to make the Clipper functionality modeled after the oracle, it was in 1996, then came another version Clipper place until a harbur

It gave me strength so I adapted tool for windows version and a form of minutes, it's just a compilation and it worked

DBF, however, past or HMG supports MySQL now trying to amend tools to

Eduardo says that it must be made a universal skeleton and functions that are used everywhere, it is not difficult

HMG is good but I think it lacks a development tool, to design screens and reports, beginners would help me a lot, I do not like to go with a blank screen and write all the functions and procedures from the beginning, just missing a standard user interface from which begins to

Eduardo, can I ask you and the other to set the screen layout of your applications

Now think to make a wizard for simple forms for IDE, how should it look this simple form? my vision that the grid to display and toolbar with functions for editing an entry, delete and search the data, of course save and cancel button, you need something else?

Regards
Dragan