GetColor() return

Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Pablo César

GetColor() return

Post by Pablo César »

I can not considere an error when cancel during at GetColor selection and returns {Nil,Nil,Nil}
but...
in my criteria, when we define at first parameter as aDefaultColor, the returned value must be aDefaultColor at least. :?
Screen1.png
Screen1.png (17.88 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
IMHO, If this would be fixed, most of runtime errors and extra routines needed would it be avoided.

As it is now, when we use GetColor() is needing an user routine in order to avoid this error.

It would be marvel if we can count to use nested function without runtime error... :P

Like this, for example:

My_SetStatusBarBackColor("Form_1",GetColor(My_StatusBarColor))

Without the main concern of user cancel during GetColor selection.

This is my point of view. I do not know what my colleagues thinks. But this it could be easy improved.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: GetColor() return

Post by esgici »

Pablo César wrote:...
This is my point of view. I do not know what my colleagues thinks.
As a rule, all system dialog function returns an invalid value, when user canceled dialog. This give checking possibility to programmer if user canceled or enter a valid value.

Such as GetFile() function; if user canceled dialog, function return an empty string and empty string isn't a valid file name.

IMO checking return value of any system function is our opportunity:

Code: Select all

aCurColor := <aAnyValidColorArray>
aNewColor := GetColor( aCurColor )
IF aNewColor[ 1 ]  = NIL                         // User canceled dialog
   aNewColor :=  aCurColor
ENDIF
More, returning <aDefaultColor> means returning the parameter; since this is parameter came to the function. Personally I never seen a function returns parameter accepted.
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Pablo César

GetColor() return

Post by Pablo César »

Thanks for your interest, Esgici.
esgici wrote:More, returning <aDefaultColor> means returning the parameter; since this is parameter came to the function. Personally I never seen a function returns parameter accepted.
Just it would be the case of third parameter in MsgYesNo, where expected the cancel and returns according third parameter.

The main idea is to avoid extra checking return procedures and instead to let to use direct.

But I guess in this case should be created a new parameter like as aReturn, concerning retro-compatibility.

It's just an idea.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

When selecting nothing (by CANCEL) old colors should be kept as it was (IMHO); so I prefer Pablo's solution.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
Pablo César

GetColor() return

Post by Pablo César »

Thank you Serge for your interest.

I also thinking that why checking return when is Nil if this would assume like as default color ?

I think we can wait for more opinions or probably HMG Development Team could explain something that we are not considering... :?

I wish to have automactic return with default value.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

serge_girard wrote:When selecting nothing (by CANCEL) old colors should be kept as it was...
...kept as it was...
Are you sure ?

This code :

MsgBox( HB_ValToExp( GetColor()), HMGVersion() )
produced same result with both HMG 3.0.46 and 3.4.0 when canceled GetColor() dialog box:
GetColorTest3046.JPG
GetColorTest3046.JPG (11.19 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
GetColorTest340.JPG
GetColorTest340.JPG (11.47 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
in my machine; and yours ?

Happy HMG'ing :D
Last edited by esgici on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Pablo César

GetColor() return

Post by Pablo César »

esgici wrote:in my machine; and yours ?
In everyone its the same. Upto this last HMG version, GetColor when be cancelled is returning {NIL,NIL,NIL} value.
(See at my first attached picture in this topic, what hmgdoc says)

I think is still very practical and do not need special treatment for any retro-compatibility (I guess) if will return as Default color (of course when have it been informed).

In case you want to continue checking return when is Nil and in that case you want to atribute different color than the current one, you could it have two options:
  1. By GetColor() (without any parameter) then it could still return as {NIL,NIL,NIL}
  2. By GetColor(<YourDefaultColor>)
By the second option at your old source codes, certaily will never be attended, because a DefaultColor was defined.
Of course if any modification will be approved in this suggested way.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
srvet_claudio

Post by srvet_claudio »

Pablo César wrote:I can not considere an error when cancel during at GetColor selection and returns {Nil,Nil,Nil}
but...
in my criteria, when we define at first parameter as aDefaultColor, the returned value must be aDefaultColor at least. :?
Screen1.png
IMHO, If this would be fixed, most of runtime errors and extra routines needed would it be avoided.

As it is now, when we use GetColor() is needing an user routine in order to avoid this error.

It would be marvel if we can count to use nested function without runtime error... :P

Like this, for example:

Without the main concern of user cancel during GetColor selection.

This is my point of view. I do not know what my colleagues thinks. But this it could be easy improved.
Pablo,
aDefaultColor --> specifies the color initially selected when the dialog box is created, for default is black.
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com
Pablo César

GetColor() return

Post by Pablo César »

Hi Claudio, thank you for your prompt reply ! :)
srvet_claudio wrote:aDefaultColor --> specifies the color initially selected when the dialog box is created, for default is black.
Thi I know. The big step is to make this propose allied with the case of user make cancel of GetColor(aDefaultColour) and which normally returns {NIL, NIL, NIL} to be changed for returning aDefaultColour.
There is a logic intention to keep default color as initial and when be called by the suggested option.

I do not see any advantage to get {NIL, NIL, NIL} by returning when is cancelled by user, because this is not value color and the main propose is to get a new color or keeping the current color.

I know that we can make the checking value of returning. But if we add a simple path for GetColor function we will able to use it without in nested function too, avoiding runtime error when aDefaultColour parameter has been informed.

Here is source code for GetColor function at HMG library:
Screen3.png
Screen3.png (57.83 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
At indicated line by red arrow, I propose to be replaced by:

If ValType ( aDefaultColor ) == "A"
	     aRetVal := aDefaultColor
	  Else
	     aRetVal := { NIL , NIL , NIL }
	  Endif
This changing will work with { NIL , NIL , NIL } return when be cancelled by user and not be informed aDefaultColor parameter for who wants to use for checking return. But also will work without runtime error when aDefaultColor is informed and user cancel the color selecting.

IMHO, will be great to be considered specially when we want to make something like this (nested function):

This is a wish that I considered important for me. The big question is: how this it will be usefull for others without any retro-incompatibility.

I don't know if you know what I meaning.

Rgds
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein