Wish to be able to enter Pdf filename

Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Javier Tovar

Re: Wish to be able to enter Pdf filename

Post by Javier Tovar »

Rathinagiri wrote:Very good idea Roberto.
+1
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

mol wrote:
Roberto Lopez wrote:I've took a brief look at the last version and a little proposal for the next releases arised:

It could be nice if you could specify that the destination PDF file at SELECT PRINTER command, so, you could generate PDF reports without user interaction (without preview).

This has another advantage: You could use the same print code (@...PRINT commands) without the need of two separate codes @...PRINT and @...HPDFPRINT.

In other words and unique report code with multiple possible destinations (including PDF file).

Since (as I've said) I've only took a brief look at the last version, if this is already possible, I'm sorry in advance...
Very fine option, but we must remember that print preview generates image pdf and .pdf file can be very big for few pages.
I agree. The PDF file should be generated by direct calls to HPDF.

The SELECT PRINTER command should 'flag' the print system when a pdf file is the destination 'printer', so, the @...PRINT commands, could call HPDF functions instead 'miniprint' ones.

Regarding the preview, if PDF file is the destination, it should be implemented opening the generated file via ShellExecute, so, the system's PDF viewer installed could take care of it.

In the last times, in my applications, I give to the user, the option of select to send reports to printer or to a PDF file, but, I must double code the report to achieve this. I guess that others has the same problem.

Besides this, the option PDF+email is getting more and more usual, so (considering that we are talking about wishes) could be nice if the SELECT PRINTER command could include destination e-mail for a PDF report too. So, it could not only generate a PDF file, but, send it by e-mail to one or more recipients.

Well... I know... we could forget the e-mail thing by now :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
mol

Post by mol »

That's great idea. Doubling code now is very hard work and causes two times more testing