HMG Installation suggestion

Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

HMG Installation suggestion

Post by Rathinagiri »

Whenever I install a new version of HMG, (like forum test I...XVII), a new shortcut folder is created in the start button programs menu. If I unknowingly uninstall from any of the shortcut, the latest version is getting uninstalled ie., even though there are so many shortcuts in start button, we have only one latest version installed in the HMG directory.

Therefore, when installing a new version, the older version shortcuts should be removed from start button. Is there any way to do this?
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Re: HMG Installation suggestion

Post by sudip »

Hello Rathi,

Yes, very good suggestion :)

I solved it :-
1. Before Installation, I uninstalled previous version. And if the new version has problem, I again uninstall it and install previous version.
2. If I forget to uninstall previous version before installation of new verswsion, I delete the shortcut of prev version from start menu, manually ;) Then I use any system tool (eg., CCleaner) to delete entry of the older version from Registry.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
mol

Post by mol »

I think, good idea will be check control: "Create start menu shortcut?"
For example: I always use Total Commander and I don't use start menu for working HMG.

During installation, I'm changing start menu folder from "HMG 3.0.0 (Test XVII)" to "HMG" - it's my way for clean start menu...

Marek
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks a lot for valuable suggestions friends.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
mustafa
DBs Used: DBF

Post by mustafa »

HI rathinagiri
I used intal HMG renamed the folder to eg HMG_295
also work with Total Commander so if there is any problem can
return to previous version without problems, then delete access
direct when I see that everything is correct.
A greeting
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hi All,
I install HMG 3.0.0 tests in C:\HMG300 folder :)
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote:Whenever I install a new version of HMG, (like forum test I...XVII), a new shortcut folder is created in the start button programs menu. If I unknowingly uninstall from any of the shortcut, the latest version is getting uninstalled ie., even though there are so many shortcuts in start button, we have only one latest version installed in the HMG directory.

Therefore, when installing a new version, the older version shortcuts should be removed from start button. Is there any way to do this?
The easier/simplest way to handle that is to install each version in different folder.

I could contribute changing installer to suggest a different default folder name for each version, ie: for the next test release: c:\hmg.300.18.

Since HMG installation is portable from 3.0 all versions could coexist and work together without problems.

Of course, uninstalling any of them should be not a problem for the others.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
mol

Post by mol »

As I wrote previously, I 'm using total commander. When I open this program, I go to project folder and press Enter on *.hbp file. It causes hmgide to open this project.
What do you think, what will happen when I install 17 version of hmg - in 17 different folders - every time, when you will want to recall newest version, you will need to change windows settings to call latest version of IDE, when clicking on .hbp file.

So, I think, installlation folder of HMG should stay c:\hmg And Start menu folder should be HMG - anyone, who need different folder name can add version number to the name of folder.
mol

Post by mol »

I think, everyone has on his disk some previous versions - in *.exe installation file. So, when newest version appears to be unstable, he can reinstall to older one...

It's only my humble opinion...
Best regards, \Marek