Change Cell Position in Grid

Creative ideas/suggestions for HMG

Moderator: Rathinagiri

sudip

Change Cell Position in Grid

Post by sudip »

Hello Master Roberto,

During editing a cell of a grid we can easily go to another cell using arrow key of keyboard. This will be even better we can do it using mouse also :)

Thanks in advance.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: Change Cell Position in Grid

Post by Rathinagiri »

sudip wrote:Hello Master Roberto,

During editing a cell of a grid we can easily go to another cell using arrow key of keyboard. This will be even better we can do it using mouse also :)

Thanks in advance.

With best regards.

Sudip
In-place editing in a cell is done by defining a modal window.

IMHO, clicking away the modal window could not be captured. Therefore, getting inside a cell is easy through mouse. Once entered, we could not get out by using the mouse, because the modal window is defined to the size of the cell itself!

This method is used in combosearchbox too!
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote:

IMHO, clicking away the modal window could not be captured. Therefore, getting inside a cell is easy through mouse. Once entered, we could not get out by using the mouse, because the modal window is defined to the size of the cell itself!

Exactly yes.

I've attempted to do using a child window instead a modal, but it created LOTS of new problems that not can be solved (good enough) at high level.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
sudip

Post by sudip »

rathinagiri wrote: In-place editing in a cell is done by defining a modal window.

Thank you Rathi, but what is the way out :?: :!: :)
Suppose one user is using our program. S/he used mouse to activate a combobox and then s/he wants to navigate to another cell using mouse pointer. Then our program will not work.
IMHO, I found it's a typical habit of top management executives to use mouse in stead of keyboard. If this will work, I shall try for a re-creation of one of my old projects, which will be used by top management only :( (Current project was created using another software tool, which I don't want to use ;) )

Thanks in advance.
With best regards.
Sudip
Last edited by sudip on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With best regards,
Sudip
sudip

Post by sudip »

Roberto Lopez wrote:
rathinagiri wrote:

Exactly yes.

I've attempted to do using a child window instead a modal, but it created LOTS of new problems that not can be solved (good enough) at high level.
Thank you Master Roberto, Ok, now I understand the problem.
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

sudip wrote:
Suppose one user is using our program. S/he used mouse to activate a combobox and then s/he wants to navigate to another cell using mouse pointer. Then our program will not work.
... Ok, now I understand the problem.

Sudip
Hello my brother Sudip

Sorry, but I'm thinking a little different.

First, "our program will not work" isn't correct, may be "our program will not work as expected". Does this expectation is correct? User wait that mouse movements will run as keyboard navigation, and this is also not a correct expectation.

When user enter a cell for editing, this is a "sub" operation and before this operation terminated s/he can't make anything other. Key strikes by keyboard have some specialties for terminating editing process and mouse doesn't have, that is all. So we haven't any problem.

I other hand, a point of view as "user is always right", cause reducing life duration of programmers :lol:

Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

May be we have to rely upon some other (open source) data grids like the one below:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/miscctrl/gridctrl.aspx
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

esgici wrote:
sudip wrote:
... Ok, now I understand the problem.

Sudip
Hello my brother Sudip

Sorry, but I'm thinking a little different.

First, "our program will not work" isn't correct, may be "our program will not work as expected". Does this expectation is correct? User wait that mouse movements will run as keyboard navigation, and this is also not a correct expectation.

When user enter a cell for editing, this is a "sub" operation and before this operation terminated s/he can't make anything other. Key strikes by keyboard have some specialties for terminating editing process and mouse doesn't have, that is all. So we haven't any problem.

I other hand, a point of view as "user is always right", cause reducing life duration of programmers :lol:

Regards

--

Esgici
I do agree Esgici.

Once we have started to edit with a keyboard, it will be ok to get out from the in-place editing.

For an in-cell edited combo box control, initiated with the mouse should also be closed using the mouse.

So..... we have to find a way. Let us keep in mind and have a dream. As Roberto says, we shall never abandon our dreams!
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Thanks Rathi

There is a proverb in our country : Never been consumed away solutions under sun !

Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Friend Rathi and Brother Esgici,
Thanks a lot for understanding what I am trying to say. :)
I am sure there must be way out :idea:
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip