The clicked link to open in new page

Forum help and suggestions to improve this forum.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Pablo César

Behaviour of URL (links) posted at messages

Post by Pablo César »

Hello dear Rathi, first I really appreciate your efforts and for your kindness in offering a new option. Sorry if I was not clear in my assignments on "opening in a new window/tab" when clicking on a link. I do not know about other users, but the issue is political and not a lack of resource.
I have as personal practice, always open links in new tabs so that the current page is not lost and can continue reading and closing tabs open and I as my interest in reading or even when I finish reading. But as I said before this issue is a political issue that maybe we raise. For what me and Jairo (maybe someone else) is that we wanted to change the behavior of the current links in the forum to open in new tabs.
My main arguments for this are:

When we focus on a subject and make use of links, we like that the focus of the current page be keeped and readers only open other issues that complement the main subject.
I do not ever want to have to search for the page I started at, when I open a link.
I do not bother with history and other things to get me to the right place, either. That may come from a long time back, when browsers and operating systems crashed more often, and history got lost in the crash.

Also you can read this: Why External Links Should Open in New Tabs

But as I have said, all depending for your own practical and behaviour. Probably a good solution for this is the browser let you choose to open everything in a new tab by default.

If links could be forced to behave one way or the other, I can live with assuming to open with a right click or the wheel or also the third/center mouse button to open in a new tab or window.

This is a forum and it's the perfect place to raise tendencies or preferences. So Rathi, do not change because my only thought more practical to simply click and open in new tab.

And I appreciate the new option, I think I'll re-edit all my posts to replace with this new option.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: The clicked link to open in new page

Post by Rathinagiri »

To get pass in XHTML strict validation, this feature was removed in phpbb. Since we are using a BBCode, we are not violating XHTML norms too.

https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links- ... ew-windows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Pablo César

The clicked link to open in new page

Post by Pablo César »

Hi Rathinagiri,

I am using much exturl tag. For me is very important tag, better than url tag. But this last one is with some problems,. Please note picture below:
Screen1.PNG
Screen1.PNG (23.1 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
This problem probably due users do not use URL tags. The strange is at the time exturl implementations was made, this url exhibition does not happend before.

Some times, I edit message to recompose with URL tags. What can be do to avoid this ? Something in exturl implementations ? Shall be disconsidered this ext url ? I hope not, because I am suffering from RSI syndrome (Wiki) due mouse wheel use. My mouse wheel is quite squared due so many times it is pressed.. :lol:
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein