Promote HMG

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Promote HMG

Post by Rathinagiri »

Hi friends,

We all well aware of the fact that, HMG is a stable, full fledged package for creating xBase related applications/projects with the power of Harbour and simplicity of MiniGUI.

This is very much personal thinking. Forgive me if I am wrong. In India, to my knowledge, many firms are still running age old clipper based MS-DOS applications and some of them can't even upgrade their machines/peripherals like printers because of this. Now, we have to spread the features and advantages of HMG to all, so that the number of persons getting benefited from HMG increases. IMHO, HMG can be included in the syllabus of school children.

Please give your ideas so as to promote HMG in a better way.

Thanks and regards,

Rathinagiri.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Re: Promote HMG

Post by sudip »

Hi Rathi,

I skipped this topic. But, you know great friends think alike. Today, I posted a new topic in this forum (HMG vs VB & VB.Net) mainly for this purpose only :-)

My points will be (for India and Other countries, AFIK)
1) HMG is Open Source and Free of Cost.
2) It is extremely stable and fast.
3) Very small size.
4) No extra file is required (except for specific cases, eg., using MySql)
5) Very helpful user group.
6) Excellent tutorial.
7) Very timely fix for any problem.
8) Learning curve is not steep.

Here I want to share some personal experiences. Last year I heard about x/Harbour. Then I converted one of my old clipper apps to xHarbour+gtwvw with some very minor changes. I made about 20 upgradation to different small clients (who are mainly FMCG distributros) and about 10 new installations (for very very low price) within 1 year. If I could create this app with HMG, IMHO, acceptance would be about 4 times!!! :-)

HMG is based on Harbour, but this topic on xHarbour also may be helpful http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lan ... fe9bb6ef5#

Regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks for enlightening Sudip.

Let us spread the good things.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello,

We want some strong points why one should use HMG. Is it only a new life for old Clipper projects or it is one of the best platforms for new projects? Not only Clipper, VFP programs can also be upgraded with HMG!!! IMHO, it's the best platform to work with MySql!!!

IMHO, it's like football match (many of our friends are from top football/soccer playing countries ;) ). We can defend goals or we can go for goals. In most cases players of 2nd attitude win the match :)

So, friends, lets go (not just hope) for the best!!! :D

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Nice words, Sudip. Thanks.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Hi All,

Well... I guess that I failed to communicate something that IMHO is a good idea. The idea is the components interface for HMG.

The components interface should be an good solution, allowing to the users interested to add the specific functionality they need.

Is a good thing that anyone add anything to HMG, but without compromising its core in a 'hard wired way'.

When published user components interface, I've imagined lots of users creating lots of nice things, but that not occurred.

Since I've still thinking that is a good idea, I guess that I've not been able to communicate in a good way.

So, we must point clearly that HMG is open to user contributions via components interface and even via external libraries and that these contributions are welcome.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

sudip wrote:Hello,

We want some strong points why one should use HMG. Is it only a new life for old Clipper projects or it is one of the best platforms for new projects? Not only Clipper, VFP programs can also be upgraded with HMG!!! IMHO, it's the best platform to work with MySql!!!

IMHO, it's like football match (many of our friends are from top football/soccer playing countries ;) ). We can defend goals or we can go for goals. In most cases players of 2nd attitude win the match :)

With best regards.

Sudip
We need more users like you :)

Thanks for your words!

Now the important things :)

Regarding soccer (football) here (in Argentina) exists an 'historic' fight between people supporting offensive (attacking) and defensive strategies.

Offensive strategy are represented by Argentina '78 team coach and defensive by '86 team coach (both world champions).

Even today there is passionate discussions about what is the best strategy.

Of course, like you, I prefer the teams that go for goals :)

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

sudip wrote:Hello,

With best regards.

Sudip
Hi friend Sudip,

I agree with you,

Here, in brazil, I try to disclose the HMG for the largest number of programmers who can therefore see that this is the best option for development today.
i know it is my 2 cents for HMG project, but currently i try make the best of me for this.
Because i love free softwares, and i trust in this project.

with best regards,

PS : Sorry my bad english.
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks for your inspirational words Vanguarda.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hi Friends,

Is there any example how to create user defined components with HMG :)
I want to learn it.
Regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip