Promote HMG

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: Promote HMG

Post by Rathinagiri »

Sudip,

Best example is GridPrint. Not the whole utility. But, the interface joining with the Grid for usage of form_1.grid_1.print
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
shridhar

Post by shridhar »

Hi All,

Great ..!, I think that every clipper programmer knows the HMG. In the last version HMG 2.93 Master added New Report Builder component in HMG. So HMG has got lot of famous. Now we need to look some additional part to become HMG as Complete XBase Modern Developement as todays market need. HMG needs to focus on SQL database access via (common ODBC OR low level) in very simple manner as same as XBase (from alaska software ) and HMG Script for 3 tier Web application development as well. And these component shounld be as part of Official HMG.

I added ODBC document from Alaska-software Please read it.

Regards
Shridhar
Attachments
ODBC1.zip
(218.31 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
sudip

Post by sudip »

shridhar wrote: ...
HMG needs to focus on SQL database access via (common ODBC OR low level) in very simple manner as same as XBase (from alaska software ) and HMG Script for 3 tier Web application development as well. And these component shounld be as part of Official HMG.
Thank you for the document. But, as a very novice learner of HMG, I think ODBC and ADO facilities are already available with HMG :) May be I didn't understand your point. In that case, can you please explain it again :)

After reading Alaska Software's document, I think you are talking about RDDs. Yes, there are different RDDs available. And ADORDD will be useful for MS Access.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
luisvasquezcl

Post by luisvasquezcl »

Estimado Roberto,
La interface User Components es un poco complicada de utilizar ya que hay que revisar mucho código para poder darle vida a un control. Para hacer mi control ComboAdo me demoré bastante tiempo ya que debía revisar : saber como implementarlo, recorrer el procedimiento de eventos para saber que eventos me sirven, conocer las funciones que entregan información para poder acceder a la posición del arreglo que contiene mi control, saber que parametros necesitan esas funciones, etc... un trabajo no menor para hacer un simple combobox (simple, comparado con la implementacion de HMG).
Sería interesante poder asignar los eventos directo al nuevo control tal como se declaran en el Init Procedure, InstallMethodHandler.
Algo asi como:

proc _Micontrol( parametros .... )

_HMG_SYSDATA[63]={ {'OnClick',Funcion_OnClick()},{'On Change', Funcion_OnChange()}}

return

de esa forma el procedimiento de proceso de eventos podria procesar esos llamados y asi evitar el desgaste en la creacion del procedimiento InitEventHandler que es uno de los que me causo problemas.
Bueno, es mi punto de vista y espero lo consideres un aporte para darle mejores funcionalidades a esta genial herramienta que es HMG.
Saludos cordiales,
Luis Vasquez.
shridhar

Post by shridhar »

HI Sudip,

As you mentioned that to use ADO and ODBC access SQL Database but again its impose limitation of using Grid , browse, Combobox of HMG controls. Because its works better with only current work area ( USE command ) not SQL cursor. And ADORDD has lot of bugs that I faced.

Thanks
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Shridhar,
shridhar wrote:As you mentioned that to use ADO and ODBC access SQL Database but again its impose limitation of using Grid , browse, Combobox of HMG controls. Because its works better with only current work area ( USE command ) not SQL cursor. And ADORDD has lot of bugs that I faced.
I respect your opinion. :)

I tested with ADO. As per my test it ran ok. But, I never tried so much with ADO. I tried with MySql RDD it ran Ok. But, it doesn't update/add record, you have to use SQL commands for that purpose. In my humble experience TMySql library is very good. But, here you have to use array and pure SQL / MySql specific commands. I like it's power. ;)

So, please discuss the bugs of ADORDD. It will be very much helpful for all of us. Again, AFIK, HMG itself plays a little role about ADORDD, it uses Harbour library. So, you may also post about the bugs in Harobur User Group https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/harb ... /index.php. Again, I request to share your experience in this Forum (may be in a new thread).

Thanks for sharing experience.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

luisvasquezcl wrote:Estimado Roberto,
La interface User Components es un poco complicada de utilizar ya que hay que revisar mucho código para poder darle vida a un control. Para hacer mi control ComboAdo me demoré bastante tiempo ya que debía revisar : saber como implementarlo, recorrer el procedimiento de eventos para saber que eventos me sirven, conocer las funciones que entregan información para poder acceder a la posición del arreglo que contiene mi control, saber que parametros necesitan esas funciones, etc... un trabajo no menor para hacer un simple combobox (simple, comparado con la implementacion de HMG).
Sería interesante poder asignar los eventos directo al nuevo control tal como se declaran en el Init Procedure, InstallMethodHandler.
Algo asi como:

proc _Micontrol( parametros .... )

_HMG_SYSDATA[63]={ {'OnClick',Funcion_OnClick()},{'On Change', Funcion_OnChange()}}

return

de esa forma el procedimiento de proceso de eventos podria procesar esos llamados y asi evitar el desgaste en la creacion del procedimiento InitEventHandler que es uno de los que me causo problemas.
Bueno, es mi punto de vista y espero lo consideres un aporte para darle mejores funcionalidades a esta genial herramienta que es HMG.
Saludos cordiales,
Luis Vasquez.
As I've discussed sometime, this is a very complex issue that I've made as easy as I can.

Anyway, I've not discard the possibility of add an abstraction layer to make it easy, but I must research to find if it is possible.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
shridhar

Post by shridhar »

HI Sudip,

Simply try to ADORDD examples in the samples directory of HMG. Its' an example of MS Access. The TYPE Function is not properly identify data type of ADORDD workarea so its show error when grid populate in HMG. I do not know that whether it is valid request to add ODBC RDD. okay any way HMG is best with DBFCDX thats advantage over legacy Clipper. Thanks Master.

Thanks
Shridhar
luisvasquezcl

Post by luisvasquezcl »

Thanks Roberto for your words
know it's not an easy task, taking into account the repercuciones it can have on the core, but I think it can be very powerful giving more flexibility to create components as for the treatment of the same events for controls and existing.
Best regards,
Luis Vasquez.
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

luisvasquezcl wrote:Thanks Roberto for your words
know it's not an easy task, taking into account the repercuciones it can have on the core, but I think it can be very powerful giving more flexibility to create components as for the treatment of the same events for controls and existing.
Best regards,
Luis Vasquez.

Thanks Luis

Me too, I'm thinking exactly like you.

Saludos

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D