Birthday thread idea

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

vagblad
DBs Used: MySQL,DBF

Birthday thread idea

Post by vagblad »

Hello,

I would like to suggest an idea about the Happy Birthday threads in general. I don't want to deny the importance of those threads and the high value they have in making our relations more tight. The thing is though that if you go to your unread posts everyday half or more of the threads there are happy birthday threads. Some days its not that big of a problem but on other days where we have lots of birthdays at the same time almost the whole page gets filled with those threads.
This situation forces the user to navigate to the 2nd page of unread to search for a post that interests him. I want to propose some possibly viable solutions to the above:

1)A moderator should delete the birthday thread after 5-6 since the first post.(i dont like this solution a lot and it requires a lot of work from the moderator)
2)Create an Ignore Thread button. So i read a birthday post, i type my wishes and then i press the Ignore button which makes the thread never show up again in my unread or active list.(That's my preferred solution)
3)Make a sticky thread named Happy Birthday, where we can all wish everyday and whenever someone has his birthday. So it will always be one thread about it .

We could also make a group in Facebook, which will be more on the social side of things so we could keep in touch there as well, say our wishes, post stuff which are out of topic and so on.I guess most if not all of us have a facebook account.But that's not a solution just maybe an idea to be more sociable with each other.

Again i would like to say that i dont want the birthday threads gone, because i like the idea of wishing to other members of the forum. On the other hand i want my active and unread list to be filled with actual troubleshooting or information threads because sometimes it takes me 4-5 days to log in and check the threads and i never go to the 2nd page to check that as well, so i may be missing some threads in that way. I just wish we could find a way to make the whole birthday idea more flexible and useful.

Sorry for the long post and rant
Best Regards
Last edited by vagblad on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagelis Prodromidis
Email: vagblad@gmail.com, Skype: vagblad
quartz565

Re: Birthday thread idea

Post by quartz565 »

+1
Best Regards,
Nikos.

serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

OK for me! Perhaps also showing birthdays from date-3 till date+3. One day without looking tot birthdays is missing a birthday which can be embarrasing.
I don't use FB since many years....

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
Anand
DBs Used: DBF

Post by Anand »

vagblad wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 am 2)Create an Ignore Thread button. So i read a birthday post, i type my wishes and then i press the Ignore button which makes the thread never show up again in my unread or active list.(That's my preferred solution)
This feature is present in another forum I visit, so may be doable here.
vagblad wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 am 3)Make a sticky thread named Happy Birthday, where we can all wish everyday and whenever someone has his birthday. So it will always be one thread about it .
This looks OK to me, if all agrees.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Personally, I was never disturbed by birthday posts.

IMO this is a social activity and should be exist in all communities.

Human relation must not be limited only technical issues, everyone need more warm relationship.

I will be happy and comfortable to communicate with friends more than colleagues.

My two suggestion:

- Open a new forum name is FE "celebrations". If any member don't select this forum as "selected", posts will not notify as "unread".

- Before start a "happy birthday" post, please check out last visit date of that person. We have many abandoned member and such congrats will be unanswered.

Many more return days to all friends :arrow:

Happy HMG'ing :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D