CommWare

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

CommWare

Post by Rathinagiri »

Dear HMG friends,

Thanks to Roberto Lopez and EVERYONE in this forum and numerous other Harbour users, we have HMG. HMG has united us all. I am really happy to see so many people using HMG for developing software applications.

We can now see a trending concept of application portals from various organizations (like apple/google). They are funded hugely as we know and they have a common platform in the background. Considering our HMG as a platform in the background, why shouldn't we create an application portal? This idea is in my mind for more than six months.

HMG is basically database oriented. Databases are used mainly in Business Applications. So many business organizations need software to efficiently run their organizations. Forget about big corporates, they can afford ERPs/SAP or other cloud based SaS solutions. For small and medium business people, they can't spend a lot on software and they can't develop their own. The gap is large, I feel, which we can fill. I know many people who still run clipper/summer 87 applications!

Why should we reinvent the wheel again if there already is one? For example, I urgently need software for a small hotel, a simple billing system with PoS, a system of inventory for a pharmacy distributor and the list goes on and on. I am sure some of our members would have developed or implemented such a system else where. Now, why can't we create an application portal to market our members' software products?

COMMUNITYWARE. I coined a new term for this. A portal where in HMG community members can advertise, fix a price, market their applications/solutions if they want.

I think of three types of licensing.

1. Applications with fully closed source and commercial.

2. Applications with partial open source. (Source shall be shared only with HMG community and the end application can be closed source.)

3. Applications with full open source.

We can host a service to convert old clipper applications to windows based applications with service charges.

Anybody can participate in this completely free application portal. The only condition is your application should be generated using HMG/Harbour.

I have registered commware.org for this purpose. I welcome your suggestions in this regard.

We shall discuss about this and let the coming 2016 be a better year for all of us.

Happy new year.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Re: CommWare

Post by serge_girard »

Nice idea Rathi ! We should give it a chance.
Let see how many members agree.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

I understood this to be a like freelance

I welcome the idea
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

+1
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
sudip

Post by sudip »

Excellent..... love the idea ☺
Regards
With best regards,
Sudip
jayadevu

Post by jayadevu »

Hi,

A very good Idea. Thanks Rathinagiri.

Warm regards,

Jayadev
quartz565

Post by quartz565 »

Very nice idea !
Best Regards,
Nikos.

srvet_claudio

Post by srvet_claudio »

This is great HMG once again makes history !
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com
Amarante
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, MariaDB, SQLite, PostgreSQL

Post by Amarante »

Many living of software development and often finds it difficult to advertise their products. So I fully agree, provided that HMG (the language) does not lose the essence of being an open source.I would not want to see it transformed into a Fivewin or anything.
-----------------
Muitos aqui vivem do desenvolvimento de software e muitas vezes tem dificuldade de divulgar os seus produtos. Sendo assim concordo plenamente, desde que HMG (a linguagem) não perca a essência de ser um código aberto. Não gostaria de vê-lo transformado em um Fivewin ou coisa do tipo.