About implementing a “different” interface

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

jparada

About implementing a “different” interface

Post by jparada »

Translated by Google,

Continuing the theme of improving the interface a bit of our programs, I have been doing tests, especially with the use and "abuse" of images, the idea was already in the air but had to land and could not find this "as" landed, until I found the MiniGui forum in Spanish at the Yahoo files section of some "Cas_contrib" and especially the file cas_coolbutton.zip, then saw that it was possible to "do something" with the interface, the code I have used for my tests is exactly the same (original) I just changed a little the conditions (IF ...) and nothing else, I must warn that the code annex is extremely dirty, as they wanted to start verify that possible to do something "different", and I did not care to post the code.

Based on the examples you will see that almost every trick and still is for people who want to work with background images that are degraded with color, yet is not an option, for the issue of controls that do not accept property TRANSPARENT (picture), as commented in another post, the trick here is, as you see, put the background color to the controls (the background of the image does not degrade).

Another "problem" would be that each form would have its own function for checking the images, (I can not think of a reusable, unless it was configurable and also of course have to be recursive, I believe.

In addition part of the hide and show controls (the "Tabs"), sometimes it is the shadow of the hidden controls, I just happened a few times, but considering that I have a decent PC, it could be a problem, unless could be cleaned before, something like CLEAR TO command, or something else.

Another problem would be to control the screen resolution, I personally do not allow users to maximize a window and can not resize it but we must verify that your screen resolution so it does not move the controls and image and an unwanted effect.

Taking all the possible problems commented, the more you discover, I wonder if it is worth all of this interface for a "nice", because it is extremely difficult to make the images (of course, I am not a designer), and the code is "complicated" too.

I hope their views on two aspects, they think about what they saw and whether or not it's worth.

- Based on this, and if it is feasible to put into production, I think we will be able to "imitate", "almost" any interface (like the Web).

- menu.prg must compile and compile form.prg

The software (code, examples, pictures, etc.) Are provided "as is" without any liability or obligation.

Sincerely,

Greetings
Javier

Spanish,

Siguiendo con el tema de mejorar un poco la interface de nuestros programas, he estado haciendo pruebas, sobre todo con el uso y "abuso" de imágenes, la idea ya estaba en el aire pero había que aterrizarla y no podía encontrar ese "como" aterrizarla, hasta que encontré en el foro de MiniGui en español en Yahoo en la sección de archivos algo de "Cas_contrib" y en especial el archivo cas_coolbutton.zip, de ahí vi que era posible "hacer algo" con la interfaz, el código que yo he utilizado para mis pruebas es exactamente el mismo (original) solo he modificado un poco las condiciones (IF ...) y nada más, Debo advertir que el código que anexo es tremendamente "sucio", ya que de inicio quería verificar que fuera posible hacer algo "diferente", y no he puesto cuidado en el código.

Partiendo de los ejemplos verán que casi todo es truco y que aún para las personas que quisieran trabajar con imágenes de fondo que sean con color degradadas, aún no será una opción, por el tema de los controles que no aceptan la propiedad TRANSPARENT (con imágenes), como lo había comentado en otro post, el truco aquí es, como ven, poner el color de fondo a los controles (el del fondo de la imagen, no degrada).

Otro "problema", seria que cada formulario tendría que tener su propia función para el control de las imágenes, (no se me ocurre una función reutilizable, a menos que fuera parametrizable y también por supuesto tendría que ser recursiva, creo yo.

Además en la parte de ocultar y mostrar los controles (los "Tabs"), en ocasiones queda la sombra de los controles ocultos, me ha pasado solo un par de veces, pero considerando que tengo una PC decente, pudiera ser un problema, a no ser que se pudiera limpiar antes, algo así como el comando CLEAR TO, o algo más.

Otro problema, también sería controlar la resolución de la pantalla, en lo personal no permito que los usuarios maximicen una ventana y tampoco puedan cambiar el tamaño de la misma, pero debemos que verificar la resolución de la pantalla para que no se muevan los controles e imágenes y dé un efecto no deseado.

Partiendo de todos los posibles problemas comentados, más los que ustedes descubran, me pregunto si vale la pena hacer todo esto, para tener una interfaz "bonita", ya que además es tremendamente complicado hacer las imágenes (claro, no soy diseñador), y el código se "complica" demasiado.

Espero sus opiniones en los dos aspectos, acerca de que les parece lo que vieron y si vale la pena o no.

- Partiendo de esta base, y si es factible para ponerlo en producción, creo que seremos capaces de poder "imitar", "casi" cualquier interfaz (como la Web).

- Deben compilar menu.prg y compilar form.prg

El Software (código, ejemplos, imágenes, etc.) se proporcionan "tal cual", sin ningún tipo de responsabilidad, ni compromiso.

Muchas Gracias,

Saludos
Javier
Attachments
test.zip
(48.07 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Test.jpg
Test.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
luisvasquezcl

Re: About implementing a “different” interface

Post by luisvasquezcl »

Hola Javier,
Has conseguido un muy buen diseño tanto del menù como de la ventana de entrada de datos, genial, colores muy bien mezclados efectos de colores en el menù, realmente notable.
Lamentablemente el trabajo de controlar esa cantidad de controles hace que el rendimiento de la programación sea tremendamente bajo ya que requiere controlar todo y enfrascarse en un trabajo de ese tipo sería un tormento.
De todas maneras probaste que es posible crear interfaces màs atractivas con las mismas herramientas y eso es meritorio.
Me gustaría que Roberto nos diera su opinión al respecto, que posibilidades hay de poder hacer que los controles existentes de forma natural puedan mejorar su aspecto.
Saludos cordiales,
Luis Vasquez

Hi Javier,
You get a very good design of both the menu and the data entry window, great, great colors mixed effects of colors in the menu, really remarkable.
Unfortunately the job of controlling the number of controls makes the performance of the scheduling is extremely low since it requires monitoring and engaging in any work of this kind would be a torment.
Anyway you can try to create more attractive interfaces with the same tools and that is commendable.
I'd like Roberto gave us his opinion on the matter, there are possibilities that can make the existing controls to improve their natural appearance.
Best regards,
Luis Vasquez
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Hola Luis
luisvasquezcl wrote: ...
Anyway you can try to create more attractive interfaces with the same tools and that is commendable.

I'd like Roberto gave us his opinion on the matter, there are possibilities that can make the existing controls to improve their natural appearance.
Absolutely right :!:

Thank you very much to your speech that certainly reflects certainly my opinion :)

Saludos Cordiales

--

Esgici
Last edited by esgici on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
jparada

Post by jparada »

Translated by Google,

Thanks for reply, and indeed have every reason Luis is why I made the same comment if it was worth doing all that work for the interface you want, personally I do not like that solution much, but I always missed the least able to really attractive interfaces (apart from the good functionality of the system, it is not even questioned).

Greetings
Javier

Spanish,
Gracias por contestar, y efectivamente Luis tienes toda la razón es por ello que hice el mismo comentario, si valía la pena hacer todo ese trabajo para obtener la interfaz deseada, personalmente tampoco me agrada mucho esa solución, pero siempre he echado de menos poder realizar realmente atractivas interfaces (aparte de la buena funcionalidad del sistema, eso ni siquiera se cuestiona).

Saludos
Javier
luisvasquezcl

Post by luisvasquezcl »

Por lo menos fue interesante el hilo de la conversación.
Espero que haya respuesta a nuestras inquietudes que es lo que todos queremos.
Por ahi también lei un colega que queria poner una imagen de fondo a un grid, o sea, son muchos los que nos gustaría mejorar la apariencia con pequeños pero importantes detalles.
Bueno, un saludo y estamos en contacto.
Luis Vasquez.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

jparada wrote:Translated by Google,

Continuing the theme of improving the interface a bit of our programs, I have been doing tests, especially with
<...>

English:

Javier,

The Windows API response to custom interfaces is 'owner drawn controls'.

Windows give you the chance to control all (or almost all) aspects of control writing to screen.

I've experimented with that and I can tell you that it is very hard and time consuming task.

Besides that I guess that exist a serious risk that a such interface not perform the same across all Windows versions.

Even when HMG does not use owner drawn controls, I've forced to check the system version and theme applied to keep the same functionality in all available Windows versions (take a look at internal functions IsVista(), IsAppThemed(), etc.).

So, IMHO an alternate way to the problem must be tried to keep it simple, fast and 'possible' thing to do.

Español:

Javier,

La respuesta de la API de Windows son los controles 'owner drawn'.

Windows ofrece la oportunidad de controlar todos los
(o casi todos) los aspectos de control de la escritura
de la pantalla.

He experimentado con eso y puedo decir
que es muy difícil y lleva mucho tiempo.

Además creo que existe un grave riesgo de que una interfaz de este tipo funcionará de la misma forma para todas las versiones de Windows.

Aun cuando HMG no utiliza controles owner-drawn me vi obligado a verificar la versión de Windows, para obtener la misma funcionalidad en todas las versiones
(echa un vistazo a las funciones internas
IsVista (), IsAppThemed (), etc.)

Por lo tanto, en mi humilde opinión debe pensarse en un método alternativo para el problema
que sea sencillo, rápido y
«posible» de hacer.

Regards / Saludos,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
jparada

Post by jparada »

Translated by Google,

Thanks for answering, I look at the features that he says, and certainly contrary to what he says, had always thought that such an interface (based purely on pictures), would behave exactly the same on any OS, and they are not using the API, but the images.

As I said, even myself I will not use this form to make better interfaces, it is too complex and nothing productive as already mentioned.

Thank you

Greetings
Javier

Spanish,

Gracias por contestar, Le echare un vistazo a las funciones que comenta, y por cierto al contrario de lo que comenta, siempre había pensado que una interfaz de ese tipo, (basado puramente en imágenes), se comportaría exactamente igual en cualquier SO, ya que no se está haciendo uso del API, sino de las imágenes.

Como ya he comentado, incluso yo mismo no voy a utilizar esta "forma" para hacer mejores interfaces, pues es demasiado complejo y nada productivo como ya se ha mencionado.

Gracias

Saludos
Javier
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

jparada wrote:Translated by Google,

Thanks for answering, I look at the features that he says, and certainly contrary to what he says, had always thought that such an interface (based purely on pictures), would behave exactly the same on any OS, and they are not using the API, but the images.

As I said, even myself I will not use this form to make better interfaces, it is too complex and nothing productive as already mentioned.

Thank you

Greetings
Javier

Spanish,

Gracias por contestar, Le echare un vistazo a las funciones que comenta, y por cierto al contrario de lo que comenta, siempre había pensado que una interfaz de ese tipo, (basado puramente en imágenes), se comportaría exactamente igual en cualquier SO, ya que no se está haciendo uso del API, sino de las imágenes.

Como ya he comentado, incluso yo mismo no voy a utilizar esta "forma" para hacer mejores interfaces, pues es demasiado complejo y nada productivo como ya se ha mencionado.

Gracias

Saludos
Javier
In the case of an interface 100% graphics (images) based surely will be no problem across Windows versions. I've referred to other situtations.

//

En el caso de interfases basadas 100% en imágenes, seguramente no habrá problemas de compatibilidad entre las diferentes versiones de Windows. Me estaba refiriendo a otras situaciones.

Saludos / Regards

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)