Software Development and Software Maintenance

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

sudip

Software Development and Software Maintenance

Post by sudip »

Hello Friends,

What do you prefer? To create a new software or maintain a software developed by another person or company? Perhaps, I guess the answer. But, please remember - 1st one is very risky ;)

I always prefer to create a brand new software - which will do it's job very efficiently and very easily. I always go for the easiest solution :D

But, there are some persons and companies who prefer software maintenance. They have their own logic. They came to do the business. They don't want any creativity.

(Very recently I came out of the trap of "body shopper"s. They came to me in the disguise of some of my old school class mates!!! :o )

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: Software Development and Software Maintenance

Post by Roberto Lopez »

sudip wrote:Hello Friends,

What do you prefer? To create a new software or maintain a software developed by another person or company? Perhaps, I guess the answer. But, please remember - 1st one is very risky ;)
<...>
To create new code, of course!

I can't imagine someone enjoining to put his hands on code written by someone else :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
sudip

Post by sudip »

Roberto Lopez wrote:...
I can't imagine someone enjoining to put his hands on code written by someone else :)
I also don't want to maintain a software developed by another. (But, I like to learn from the code developed by my friends :D )

I don't know why some top IT companies of my country prefer software maintenance :o I really feel sorry for the employees of those companies :(

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Hi friends,

Create new software is a fantastic and amazing task.
Maintain a software that was created by another persona, some times, is very hard. But i know that maintenance generates more profits for the software house (IT Company´s).

My best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
apais
DBs Used: DBF

Post by apais »

It's easier to teach compliance than creativity. And that's what colleges do all time.
Big companies reclute among people who learned how to follow directions.
They are not even capable of recognize real talent.
Corporate recluters says we have difficulties with "team work", too agressive and million things more think they learned to comply with just by reading books.
Creative talent is natural and very few people have the ability to resolve problems in a creative way.
Creation is impossible to duplicate and produce on mass.

Regards
Angel
Angel Pais
Web Apps consultant/architect/developer.
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

IMHO, how we are doing is equally important if we compare with what we are doing. We may have an open heart in this regard.

Sometimes, doing a small service to a software might be more beneficial to everybody (organization, service provider and the developer too). Why should we re-invent the wheel if it is already there?!

In India, the employee turnover ratio is very high. The business forms (voucher, invoice, purchase/order bills etc.,) are not standardized. Also, each state is having different tax structures. Therefore, the business houses want to create their own software for their business. Since the employee t.o. ratio is high, we can not expect the developer who had developed the software always available. In that case, every time if the new developer goes for developing new software, then it would create a hell lot of problems.

This is one of my experiences. When the Government introduced education cess (a tax on excise duty), all the invoices had to be altered to accommodate this small change. No other change is required. The code was in VB. I don't know VB. However, I had tracked the invoice module, changed the invoice entry/printing/update modules accordingly within two days. If I had started a new software, it could never be possible in two days.

However, this is just my opinion friends. Thanks for patient reading. :)
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Thanks a lot friends :D

I learned from all of your views. I also want to learn from the views of friends who haven't shared their views in this topic yet. :)

For my country's context, there are some big names who are really respected MNC IT Companys, eg., Infosys, Wipro etc. But, why we don't have a single software "product" from them. They perhaps have some software products also (which I don't know), but most of them are developed by other small companies ... ;)

One of my "friends" told me, software development companies are generally smaller, due to high risk.

May be LOVE for software and business with software are totally different ;)

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
swapan

Post by swapan »

Sudip thanks for initiating this topic.... a break from our normal threads of "issues & solutions".
Roberto Sir sometimes does this.....which is good to exchange our views with respect to our geographical & social strata.

We the programmers, developers will always love to "create" then to "maintain". But what Rathi said, that does matter.

Like you, I always wondered why on earth we India don't have any or much world class products though we may have the biggest pool of software people in the world. I think to create a Operating system, desktop applications like MS-OFFICE a lot of time & money is involved and the Indian companies do not take the risks for such long R&D time involved. For the big companies in India its better for them (financially) to go for ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS & OUTSOURCING JOBS - which brings fat & regular money for them.

To come out with a box-packed international level software product and maintaining it with new releases & bug fixes calls for lot of time & expenditure involved. For the big IT companies in India with huge overheads its enterprise solutions & outsourcing jobs are more lucrative & safe.

BTW - we all can look to ourselves. How many of us are having "box-packed complete applicaiton software with manuals" and at par with the softwares available in the market which can purchased / downloaded and the user will just install and start working on it without any modification/customization of the software for the clients at source level by us.

Thanks for reading........

Regards,

SWapan
sudip wrote:Thanks a lot friends :D

I learned from all of your views. I also want to learn from the views of friends who haven't shared their views in this topic yet. :)

For my country's context, there are some big names who are really respected MNC IT Companys, eg., Infosys, Wipro etc. But, why we don't have a single software "product" from them. They perhaps have some software products also (which I don't know), but most of them are developed by other small companies ... ;)

One of my "friends" told me, software development companies are generally smaller, due to high risk.

May be LOVE for software and business with software are totally different ;)

With best regards.

Sudip
Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das

http://www.swapandas.com/
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Great sharing Swapan. I agree you verbatim. :)
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.