New Business Model for Software Development and Service

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

sudip

New Business Model for Software Development and Service

Post by sudip »

Hello All,
A few days back we were discussing how to protect our software from unauthorized copying. After some discussion we came to a conclusion that we can "resist" hackers from unauthorized copying our software "very hard", but there may be no way for absolute copy protection, as all our software come down to 1s and 0s and we can reverse engineer our software, at least to assembly language level :)

Our Master Roberto hinted a new way for this:-
Roberto Lopez wrote:IMHO, sooner or later the software will not be sold anymore. Such 'business model' will be definitively changed by support contracts that will be include the software installation/provision and maintenance.
I (like many of my excellent friends) took his idea seriously. IMHO, this an ancestor of Open Source Software :)
I know very little about open source software. Only thing I am sure, here source will be open not free ;)

Some points came to my mind:
1) This business model can be applied for customized software, where we shall charge for software development. Then we shall submit the application along with the source code to the client. And client has option to take the future service from us or any other software developers.
2) But, this is very difficult to apply when we are working on a general purpose software, which can be used by many clients without changing the software. Then what is the way :?:

Thanks in advance for your views and comments on this topic. :)

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: New Business Model for Software Development and Service

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks Sudip.

IMHO, it is cheaper for the client to give the further development to us, the original developer, than to give the work to another person unless there is a fight between the developer and the client. The reason is here. Even though the source is open, finding out the program logic, flow of the program, modifying correctly according to the requirement etc., are very difficult for a new guy.

May it be a specialized software or a general purpose software, if the client wants modifications/improvements, the best choice would be the original developer(s).

In the case of general purpose software, we can make a consortium with the clients and any improvements (including done separately by a client) shall be updated to the original software also. This would be helpful to all the persons using the general purpose software. If we see any commercial open source software, they would have this community edition. Here, the requirement of the client is fulfilled, for which he pays the money to the developer. But, once it is implemented, the whole thing is shared among the community! That would be the power of a successful open source model.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

sudip wrote: <...>
2) But, this is very difficult to apply when we are working on a general purpose software, which can be used by many clients without changing the software. Then what is the way :?:
<...>
The problem is that is very probable that we will have no choice in the future about this.

There is a new 'conscience' about that. Such new ideas come from big companies and state organizations to mid/small sized ones.

The idea is that the format used to store data and the code to handle it must be OPEN.

Think on the new data format for the MS Office suite.

Now, consider if that, could had been possible or even 'thinkable' 10 years ago.

How much of the Internet are based on closed source software or proprietary standards?

Not so much :)

The changes are slow, but unstoppable and not only on software.

Think on music.

It's still someone that really believe that the idea of sell copies of recorded music is a sustainable business yet?

Analog rules can't be applied on a digitally connected world :)

IMHO, in the future, the musicians will earn money from live concerts only and programmers will earn money from maintenance and support of their software only :)

PS: Please consider that I always exaggerate a little to demonstrate my point better :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

IMHO, in the future, the musicians will earn money from live concerts only and programmers will earn money from maintenance and support of their software only
Super!
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Master Roberto, Rathi,

Excellent ! :) Thanks a lot
Roberto Lopez wrote:...
PS: Please consider that I always exaggerate a little to demonstrate my point better :)
Yes master, except one thing - HMG. ;) :lol: It's really our future :D
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip