Why we create software

Discuss anything else that does not suite other forums.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

sudip

Why we create software

Post by sudip »

Hello Friends,

I "dare" to start this topic inspired from Master Roberto and Marek's message viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1023&start=28

May be this is a very basic question - "Why we create software?" This can be answered in a different way. We, the programmers create a device (or a concept) which gives it's users most precious thing in the world - Time :idea: And of course, in return they give us one basic thing to survive in this modern world - Money :)

I am wrong ;) Money is not the only thing we get in return. There are some software for which creators of those software don't get any tangible thing like Money. A good example is our HMG.:) I am not sure why Master Roberto created this excellent software tool. May be he is working like a genius painter, who is creating his/her master piece with the joy of creation. Or may be he wants to share his concept with others who are "willing" to take it.

Sometims I am thinking, we all (programmers) are working with intangible things like 1s and 0s. IMHO, these are symbols which when mixed with logic create output. We can see (or even touch) the output, but symbols remain intangible. Are those symbols (1 and 0) like energy, which cannot be seen or touched but we can feel it by it's output? :) (Comparing with energy may not be true, because in that case tangible output will be enormous as per Dr. Einstein's formula E=mc2 :lol: )

But, to me the basic question "Why we create software" is still unanswered.

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: Why we create software

Post by Rathinagiri »

Another interesting thread Sudip. Thanks for starting such threads. :)

For me, it is just to pass time. :lol:

We play with various tools and implements like kids do and create a small piece of work (like your concept of painting). First it is for our satisfaction. Then for the customers if QC is passed. :)

Every software we create can surely be improved. A perfect software is still to be created. We are like drug addicts. Once you start doing programmes, you can't stop. We have a Tamil proverb saying, "the legs of a dancer and the mouth of a singer won't be at rest!".

If you ask me whether programming is an art or science, I would vote for art rather than science. Given the same problem, same language, if you give it to two persons (like you and me!), the programmes would definitely be different even though the output may be the same. There resides the art part.

Anything, if we do without any pressure to do so, will be a natural one. Natural programming by a programmer is really a treasure. It is just delightful to write those programmes and see it working.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Thanks Rathi,
rathinagiri wrote:If you ask me whether programming is an art or science, I would vote for art rather than science.
This is first time, I found someone agree with me in this particular topic (Art or Science).
Thank you again for answering this "out of programming" topic. Actually I am enriched from these discussions :)
With best regards.
Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Vanguarda

Post by Vanguarda »

Hi my friends,

For me, programming is a life style.
Who is programmer, is born to be a programmer.

That is all :)

My best regards,
--
Paulo Sérgio Durço (Vanguarda)

http://hmglights.wordpress.com/
mol

Post by mol »

I think, programming is some type of state of mind.
When you start think about project, you can;t stop it - when you go to sleep, you think about resolving problem, when you awake - you are running to the computer to test your dreams :-D

It's excellent feeling when you think about all these people who use your program. Aspecially when you are author fro the beginning to the end.
I think, money doesn't matter in this time...

But, sometimes, I need to do something material....

Marek
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

sudip wrote: <...>
A good example is our HMG.:) I am not sure why
<...>
Roberto created this excellent software tool. May be he is working like a genius painter, who is creating his/her master piece with the joy of creation. Or may be he wants to share his concept with others who are "willing" to take it.
The short answer is: "Because I like it" :)

The long answer, is a little more complicated...

I guess that I have some innate obsession for build things.

Being a child, I've was obsessed with various Lego like construction kits. I've spent years constructing (and deconstructing) hundreds of things.

Later I've started constructing buildings with styrofoam and carton. Then added battery powered self-made lightning systems...

Later I've changed to cars and made various car bodies with tin, specially designed for car race games (electric-battery powered cars)...

At about 12 years old I've changed again, now for electronics...
I had my own ham radio station and I've began to help my father to build antennas...

By that time, I had a lot of little electronics projects too, mostly transmitters...

Later (at 20) I've received my first computer and... well... I guess that you can imagine how the story continues...

Now I'm a freelancer. I do web pages, desktop applications, etc.
so, I use HMG for my own jobs, then enhancing it, serves to two purposes: work and joy :)

Programing for me is like to play with a dumb robot :)

The game consist of teach the robot about how to do a complex task.

When the robot do such task pretending 'smartness' and do it right, the game is over...

so... you must go to the next level...

The game (of course) has infinite levels :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Perfect answer Roberto.

I like every word of it. We are very proud of a man with various faces and phases. :)

Luckily, you are in programming.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello All,

Excellent ! :D
I am really enlightened from all of your answers - Rathi, Vanguarda, Marek and Master Roberto :D
I am very much happy and proud to know that Master Roberto is a Freelancer :D

For my case, I it will be like all of you!!! :o

Sometimes a good software application appears to me like a good classic novel, which has many phases and chapters :o And we are the writers ;) IMHO, every software bears the personality of it's creator :)

It will be very good if we can have views from Esgici, Grigory, Alex and many other excellent friends who enriched us everyday :)

With best regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote: I like every word of it. We are very proud of a man with various faces and phases. :)
I've omitted some other 'faces and phases'... I'm a terrible musician and an horrible carpenter too :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)