gui, how you design forms

Other General Resources like icon sets, sound files etc.,

Moderator: Rathinagiri

dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

gui, how you design forms

Post by dragancesu »

I used Clipper knew that the screen is 80 * 25 characters and trying to fit everything you need on the screen, if you can all then what must

with hmg have much more space and less of a problem what put on the screen, now the problem is how to allocate nice

I'm wondering how you design a form to enter / view data?

I asked a couple of screens that I designed

I'd like to see how others do, now I have no idea
Attachments
simple1.jpg
simple1.jpg (106.73 KiB) Viewed 9553 times
simple.jpg
simple.jpg (141.52 KiB) Viewed 9553 times
dragancesu

Re: gui, how you design forms

Post by dragancesu »

These are two attempts to make a master-detail form
Attachments
mast-det-2.jpg
mast-det-2.jpg (137.6 KiB) Viewed 9555 times
mast-det-1.jpg
mast-det-1.jpg (106.85 KiB) Viewed 9555 times
Clip2Mania

Post by Clip2Mania »

Although not specific on Data-Entry forms, Microsoft has an elaborate guide on how to design a Windows interface.
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Dragancesu,

This look good.
When not too many fields in the databases I sometimes use 2 grids: leftmost master and right detail.

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
dragancesu

Post by dragancesu »

Hello Serge,

that's what I meant when the table has little data all fit on the screen, but how do you make when you have a lot of fields and can not all fit on the screen

Special problems related tables (master-detail and master-more detail) and to a large database and tools they know fine to make but here it is not easy to control data entry and maintain data integrity

Can you paint the screen and upload here how are you doing?

And other ideas/screen are welcome
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

Hello Dragancesu,

In the mastergrid you can use ON DBLCLICK which will open a new form showing detailgrid1. Then again in this grid you can use ON DBLCLICK showing again a new form with details of details.
See att.

Greetings, Serge
Attachments
master-detail-detail.png
master-detail-detail.png (108.98 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...
EduardoLuis

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Dragancesu

You ask for suggestions about creating a good form (entry / show data).-
The answer is too difficult for several reasons:
1.- Who will be the end user ?
2.- What need the end user ?
3.- How much time you'll invest on your develope ?
4.- How much you'll be paid for your work ?
The most significant difference between HMG & Clipper / Fox / any other xbase develope system, is that on HMG you can develope ANYTHING, symple or complex systems with less effort, the only thing you need is IMAGINATION.-
My first developes, performs standard view data entry forms.-
After some interviews with potential clients, i notice then need graphical aids that let them a quick choose of function or information.-
So i must look how can i give those requeriments to manage big tables and complex printer outputs forms.-
If i see what is on market software, i should be influence by that and my job wont be original.-
The only way to solve the problem was taking a sheet of paper and design on it what i suppose will match my client needs.- When i reach that point, develope becomes choosing graphics for any aspect on screen.-
For example on a phone-book my choice was a graphic simulating a real phone-book with tabs on the right margin with the graphic of each letter.- Then i must create a control that when end user points on some letter the sheet shows only all persons who's first name matches with that letter.- Then if end user want to edit somebody on that list, letter tabs must change colors (red for active selection and blue for inative one's) and also each data activated to be edit must have a different background color.-
Another example, i don't use buttons; instead i use transparent labels over "simulated buttons" that i graphically design which beaviour performs the same function as a button; when end user points that simulated button, it change it's background color to simulate it's active, and any other simulated buttons change it's background color to simulate it's inactive.-
In these samples, end users ask me to develope a system unique, not similar to any other, and they will invest it's money on that.- So after answering the 4 parameters i punt at the begining or these answer, i begin the job.-
There is not a "book of secrets" on developing, just only one: know what your client need, and before tipyng any program line, draw your proyect on a simple sheet of paper; the rest will be hours (day & night) in front of the screen, much patience, and losts of test.-
After making your first paid-develope, you'll find you have a good stock of routines you'll apply to next develope, because now you have make your style, without been influence by anyothers.- You can take ideas about function of other systems, only that; then you must perform your own.-
Allways take in count that copying or reproducing other developes meand invest the same effort and hours than creating your own style.- We are "taylors of bits", not a factory of bits (Microsoft).- HMG lets make unique developes, so we can take these advantage on our benefit.- HMG lets you come true all you imagen.-
My father saids: "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.-
Hopping the will help you.
With regards.
Eduardo
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hola dragancesu,

Yo lo he hecho como dice Serge, aunque la experiencia y forma que el cliente quiere la información es otra.

Yo por ejemplo estoy haciendo ahorita una aplicación donde el cliente tenia su sistema de "balance del negocio" en Excel y en Excel se pueden poner grandes cantidades de datos con una gran versatilidad, ahora el reto es hacer que el cliente acepte la nueva forma de trabajar.

- He pensado en Poner todo en diferentes GRID y que la Ventana sea Virtual.
- Que de una GRID nos muestre otra con Doble Click. Como dice serge.
- Con el control "Tab"

Y pues también aquí hay alternativas muy buenas!, solo falta, en mi caso, que el cliente la acepte.

Saludos

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello dragancesu,

I've done as Serge says, although experience and how the customer wants the information is another.

I for one am doing now an application where the client had their system of "balance of business" in Excel and in Excel you can put large amounts of data with versatility, the challenge now is to make the customer accepts the new form of work.

- I thought put everything in different GRID and the Virtual Window is.
- That a GRID show us one with Double Click. As serge says.
- With control "Tab"

And so here is also very good alternatives !, just missing, in my case, the client accepts it.

greetings
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

All Samples above from Dragan and Serge look interesting.

Thanks
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
dragancesu

Post by dragancesu »

I agree with you, and I know that you're in this limited only by their imagination, all you can do

Ask Google "data entry forms" and select the images, what do you like what you see? me quite a bit, most of it was done without imagination

But on the other hand, it is always making something new, people are the law and they should be allowed to enter / modify / delete data is simple and logical, to say practically, to put it simply when he sees the form to know what to houses or what to click and it is not easy

I try to make their job easier, so I'm trying to make a program that will help me create a default form and place controls on it, I admit it is not easy

I always looked more functionality than the design and now I have a little problem, because these are windows programs and must have a good look

What should the form be found to move around the data (first, next, last) and it was resolved in, then it must exist to modify or delete an existing entry, and a new record, it would be useful to have some press, and I think should enable searching and of course create the control input

Long ago I saw it for oracle forms, the first exercise is called "create forms in 60 Seconds" and it worked, I made ​​my tool, create a default form and the compilation takes fewer than a minute, and it works

I'm not far aim to promote what I did (a topic hmgcase) would no longer have to see what you create data entry forms, a typical example would need to enter the account and items

Something I've seen here will set the author of Mol

I think it looks great and functional
Attachments
mol.jpg
mol.jpg (158.51 KiB) Viewed 9385 times